question on rebuilding 4r100 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

question on rebuilding 4r100

im gona be pulling my tranny out of my 99 to fix second gear an put a new tq converter in.iv never done this before iv done everything else motor wise to my truck is their any special toles i need an do i have to look out fot when taring it apart?.thanks guys for the help.

1999 ford super duty ex cab short bed 4x4 dp-tuner f-5 lomp mod,80 econ,100,120 race,140 aggresive 4inch exaust to 6-inch tip non-wastegated housing upgrade from bts di-performance crossover line di-performance fuel tank mixing delete autometer gauges boost,trans,pyro custom made cold air intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: question on rebuilding 4r100

Well, you should probably start by reading the ATSG manual and supplement for the 4R100 / E40D. It points out all the unique tranny tools you will need as well as all the unique parts, concepts and functionality you will be working with while inside the case.

I don't know what you mean by fixing second gear, but I assume you may be opening the case. Personally, if I was opening the case to fix something, I would really consider buying a full rebuild kit and doing it all while in there.

Definitely read the ATSG manuals, if nothing else you will understand more than you do now. I have only rebuilt a TH400 many years ago and it worked well for a long time. I am considering doing my 4R100, but I am not ready to dig in yet. It is not similar to rebuilding an engine, IMHO

2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, 38R,HO Outlet, IH Up-pipes, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp, Oil PSI at Turbo Pedestal

DP-Tuner 6 pos No Start - 140
Super Heavy Duty 4R100 / triple disc from ATO
Transmissions in Sacramento
ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM
PSN Veteran

it's definitely different from an engine rebuild; but i've heard great things about the tools and instructions from racerxautomotive.com . if you have a strong mechanical ability, it shouldn't be a problem. I would also consider a set of HD clutches and steels.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thanks guys i will definitely get a manual for sure..an second gear has been gone for more than a year i had a ford dealership rebuild it an it shifted so hard from first to second it would break the tires lose then sumthen broke i replaced alot of simple things thought that might be the problem but no fix so the problem is inside after the issue is fixed brian is gona hook me up with a real tranny im am a competive person with my ford but it does me no good when my tranny isnt workn right.

1999 ford super duty ex cab short bed 4x4 dp-tuner f-5 lomp mod,80 econ,100,120 race,140 aggresive 4inch exaust to 6-inch tip non-wastegated housing upgrade from bts di-performance crossover line di-performance fuel tank mixing delete autometer gauges boost,trans,pyro custom made cold air intake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode