4R100 Rebuild? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
CtG
PSN Veteran

4R100 Rebuild?

How hard would it be for someone who has not done an Automatic before to do this?
I am confident in taking most things apart, I just need to understand what is involved first. As such I might pick up the ATSG manual and read it through a few times before taking it up.

But...
Our 02 Excursion with about 130k on the clock is starting to do what I'd deem slipping. You have to give it a lot more goose on hills and towing to get the same affect you would have 30k ago. It doesn't seem horrible... Yet, but it is getting worse. This thing doesn't need to hold 4 billion horsepower, heck, we rarely ever even have the Superchips tune in it. For the most part, it cruises around with its bigger exhaust, K&N filter, and Larry's Black Box and thats it. No lift, stock sized tires, etc. It just tows. Our camper, both our boats, our flatbed with "insert stranded car here" on it... So it needs to keep up the job its been doing so well for so long is all.

I was looking at the SunCoast Extreme Duty Master Rebuild and 4-clutch coast to serve as a basic upgrade. Any thoughts in that area?
When its not towing, it usually serves as moms daily driver, and she has always loved the buttery shifts.

Also... I heard a rumor about a TC that uses the 5R110 stator, and is significantly more efficient? Is this true?

Family Rides-
99.5 F250 PSD SC 4x4 SD: BTS, SS 4" Exh, 6637, 6-pos chip, 4" lift, Reg. Return, FFD 160CC Single's, GTP38R, Adrenaline, Fuel Bowl Delete- 410HP/828TQ Wheel

02 Excursion 4x4 PSD: 4" DP-back w/ Aero-Turbine, Larry's Black Box, BTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Starting Over

Re: 4R100 Rebuild?

There is a TON of little parts in those things.Me personally would never attempt it.If you feel confident and have another rig to drive go for it.Worst possible thing is you have to dump all the parts to a Trans shop to put it back together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Heath

Check out Racerx. I think there is a write up at TDS from him with step by step and pics. Bill is a great guy and will back you up if you have problems during the rebuild. I had him build me one(I needed one right away). There was a problem with one of his machines which delayed things a couple of days so he upgraded mine from a stage one to a stage two with billet shafts and tailpiece and TC to make up for the delay.

2005 250 crewcab king ranch
arps, egr delete,coolant and oil bypass filters
4" turbo back MBRP
A-1000 fuel w\Reg return
Warrne 175\30's

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
PSN Veteran

I did one once in an 96 F150. I did not even touch the valve body, sent it to a shop. Installed it and it would do nothing. Ended up sending it to the tanny shop to get it right. I was sold the wrong converter and it ate up the input shaft and the whole tranny had to be rebuilt anyway.

Long in short, don't even mess with it. My trying to save a little change cost me twice as much in the long run and I had to take it out and put it back in twice.

There are a lot of small parts and a lot of things that a builder just knows from experience. I learned my lesson on that one.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

If you have the time to take your time, it's not bad. I helped my dad to 2 GM transmissions (one of them twice).
Poking along, I think each rebuild took about a week for us.
Bill's a good guy to talk to.

Go ARMY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode