e40d problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

e40d problems

hey guys new to the site, I recently just bought a 1996 f350 7.3 auto its got 177k on it and its in pretty decent shape. the problem im having is the other night the overdrive light started flashing and it couldn't pick between 4th and 5th on the highway so I figured hopefully just a speed sensor and itll be a cheap fix, bought it from ford for 40 bucks disconnected the batteries to reset the code and it worked for about 5 miles then the overdrive light came on again. so I brought it to a reputable tranny shop and they scanned it and found out it threw a p1728 code I belive. they told me that code is a sign of internal failure and quoted me $2300 to rebuild the tranny I don't have that kind of money and ive tried doing some research and some people say it could be the torque convertor but im not sure what it is. id love to get a built tranny and never have to worry again but im not made of money either anyone have any ideas or suggestions what I should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: e40d problems

It isn't shifting between fourth and fifth. It is a four speed transmission, not a five speed.

The other shift you think you are feeling is the torque converter locking and unlocking. It is likely that the torque converter is causing the problem. You can get the converter replaced for a big portion of the rebuild price.

I don't know how to fix this problem with out spending money.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

well I guess you learn something new everyday lol for some reason I thought it was a five speed but anywho do u think its even worth it to just replace the torque convertor? I don't wanna half fix my problem not every shift is slamming which is weird its just first to second usually and then when it downshifts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

It isn't weird, it is by design.

When the PCM detects a transmission problem it stores a code, flashes the OD light, and sets the pressure high to try and prevent further damage. That's what you are feeling.

You might get lucky and be able to just replace the converter. If the trans is worn out you'll need to replace or rebuild it soon, and then replace the converter again. Never put a used converter in a fresh transmission. That's just asking to do the job over again.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That's my issue I wouldn't wanna spend the money to do the torque convertor then soon after it needs a whole rebuild. I talked to the local diesel shop the other day and they said try draining some fluid to see if there's any metal chunks if not he said something about replacing some solenoid that's right under the pain and they may fix it. What do u think?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:38 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I think that's a good way to spend some extra money. I don't expect it will fix your problem.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode