P0732 and P0781 Shift errors - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

P0732 and P0781 Shift errors

I started looking at the transmission problems that developed over the week. I pulled the following codes. The problem as reported by my son who was driving the truck goes like this. He noticed the 1 - 2 shift slipping and then noticed the tranny temp was up around 200*. (My tranny temp gauge uses the transmission test port) So he drove home and said it climbed a bit higher, but not over a few more degrees. So I had him park it until I could look at it this weekend.

P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0781 1 - 2 shift error

I pulled these codes and cleared them this morning prior to driving it. I then drove it about 10 - 12 miles to warm it up. Over that time it ran fine. Shifts from 1 - 2 were firm as were all others and the temp only got up to 125* Went up a few hills, etc. I did not notice any issues. Pulled the codes again and no codes, except my nagging GP code.

The pinpoint tests for these require the use of software I don't have that allows entry into the Output Test Mode (OTM). I only have AE and I don't think I can get into anything OTM related so I can't really go further with the pinpoint testing. So I am going to flush the tranny using Mark K's sticky since it is about due and have a look at the connector at the tranny for oily residue, loose connection etc.

Any insight on what to look at next is greatly appreciated.

2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, 38R,HO Outlet, IH Up-pipes, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp, Oil PSI at Turbo Pedestal

DP-Tuner 6 pos No Start - 140
Super Heavy Duty 4R100 / triple disc from ATO
Transmissions in Sacramento
ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: P0732 and P0781 Shift errors

More info:
Did the Mark K Sticky flush then took it back out on the road. Temps seem normal bout 160 +/- 10 at operating temp after about 40 miles on surface streets and highway. Shifted fine in the first 30 miles. 1 - 2 was very firm like always. No hesitation while going from 1 - 2, 2 - 3 and up. After about 40 miles it started to shift sloppy, went up in rpm until I backed off the throttle and it will then go from 1 - 2 real soft. Same with the 2 - 3 except not as noticeable.

Can the solenoid pack cause the shifts to drag out like they are above? I am hesitant to just replace the solenoid pack at $450.00 unless I know it is bad. I did not have the pan off since I anticipated having to take it off for the solenoid pack replacement.

I don't think it is the clutch packs because it shifted great for the first 30 or so miles. It seems like a solenoid issue, not getting the transmission fluid through the valve body correctly.

2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, 38R,HO Outlet, IH Up-pipes, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp, Oil PSI at Turbo Pedestal

ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The only possibility on the solenoids is the electronic pressure control solenoid. There is a pinpoint test that lists the correct pressures as measured at the test port (that's what it really is for!) You'll need a 0-350 PSI gauge with a 1/8" NPT fitting. Check the pressures against the chart both cold and hot. If the pressures are within the limits both cold and hot then the solenoid is fine.

I think, but I don't know for sure that the clutch packs are your problem. If the pressures test OK, then it's rebuild time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The only possibility on the solenoids is the electronic pressure control solenoid. There is a pinpoint test that lists the correct pressures as measured at the test port (that's what it really is for!) You'll need a 0-350 PSI gauge with a 1/8" NPT fitting. Check the pressures against the chart both cold and hot. If the pressures are within the limits both cold and hot then the solenoid is fine.

I think, but I don't know for sure that the clutch packs are your problem. If the pressures test OK, then it's rebuild time.
Thanks for that bit of information, I will look into putting a test gauge together. I changed the fluid last week. Since then I have not been able to get it to slip or flare. Seems to shift alright. I am looking into the rebuild option. It has 177k on it and I am sure it won't last too much longer even if it is the pressure control solenoid.

Thanks for the help,
Pat

ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 AM
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"

I was getting the the shift error everytime I drove my truck. 2-3 and 3-4 with shifts that were real weak and sometimes wouldn't hold and shift back.Dropped the VB and replaced with a racer x one and haven't had a problem since.Got the high temps as well and this was last winter in 20 degree weather.My old vb was full of clutch material and the tranny had 100,000 on it at the time. I got another tranny code but can't remember what the heck it was.

2004 f250 egr delete,studded,fass 95,suncoast convertor,itp RR,Banks intercooler,58v tuned ficm,Powermax turbo,Matts tunes,6in Icon and 35 toyos 20x12 fuels
Early 99 exlb 4wd-SOLD All Shaeffer oil
Will Iott -8/24/84-7/4/10 "We miss you buddy"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

That is pretty much what I had. I just flushed and filled it using the Mark K procedure sticky. That seemed to get rid of the problem for the time being. I still have good solid shifts for the most part. It runs like a transmission with 177K on it, and I know I will be doing some work on it soon. I was thinking of going with a decent aftermarket TC and possibly a shift kit. I don't race or run it too hard and only tow a boat in the summer. I would like it to hold a little better from 0 - 40, it seems that over time the RPM's are climbing a little higher as it runs up to 40 mph. But as it shifts from 1-2 I can feel it hit as hard as before and I am sure I can get it to grab second if I had my foot in it. 2- 3 is also good, no shift flare. I have always thought of putting a valve body from BTS or JW in place of the OEM.

I would really like to get 200K out of this transmission, that way I would feel as though I got good mileage out of it.

ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 PM
PSN Newb

bring this back to life.

Im having the same issues. It wont shift firm, it stays high in rpm for first also high rpms now in second shift . doesnt matter if its hot or cold
I had my trans rebuilt 6000 miles or so ago p0732. All New clutches (alto 8 packs), billet triple disk torque converter, also put in the torque converter lock up 0 or 100 precent lock up, trugger hd2 put in the valve body, higher pressure lso put in. only thing i didnt do was the replace the vavle body or solenoid packs. o aand i filled it up with mobile one atf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode