7.3 vs 6.0 ZF6 question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

7.3 vs 6.0 ZF6 question

Back story, I'm collecting the parts for a ZF6 conversion for the OBS truck in my signature. I scored a used 7.3 ZF6 for 500$ minus the transfer case via Craigslist. I know I want the 271F model transfer case to retain manual shifting of the transfer case.

I know from research that the 7.3 and 6.0 ZF6 transmissions have different engine mounting patterns. I also know that input shafts on the auto and ZF6 transfer cases can be changed to interchange the transfer cases between the auto and manual transmissions.

What I don't know from searching is, can a 6.0 ZF6 transfer case be installed onto a 7.3 ZF6? If so are there any required modifications? For example changing input shafts.

I'm trying to refine my search pattern for a transfer case. Any help would be appreciated.

1996 F-350 4X4, Edge Tuner, DIY Tymar intake, Stancor mod, 4" lift, ISSPRO Guages, 3" DP, 4" DP back exhaust, 35x12.5x17 Procomp Extreme All-Terrains, Firestone Bags, Warn/Dodge 12,000 winch and Warn winch bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: 7.3 vs 6.0 ZF6 question

After Google FU failed I started calling transmission shops and asking about adaptability of the 6.0 and 7.3 271F transfer cases. The shops in the Central Valley, CA area all directed me to Ford. Ford was no help either.

I don't know why I didn't think to call Midwest Transmission first. After a call to them (I don't recall whom I spoke with) I learned that the bolt patters for the transfer cases for the Super Duty Trucks are the same. There are 3 different input shaft spline counts: 24, 31, and 34. These Input shafts can be changed to accommodate whatever transmission you need to put in front of the transfer case.

I will be sourcing a 271F(Manual Shift) Transfer Case from any Ford Super Duth 1999-2007, swap the input shaft(if necessary) to match my 24 spline transmission output shaft, add a seal kit and inspect everything and replace whatever looks like its in need of replacing.

Link to supporting info for reference.

http://www.midwesttrans.com/np271.html

1996 F-350 4X4, Edge Tuner, DIY Tymar intake, Stancor mod, 4" lift, ISSPRO Guages, 3" DP, 4" DP back exhaust, 35x12.5x17 Procomp Extreme All-Terrains, Firestone Bags, Warn/Dodge 12,000 winch and Warn winch bumper.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: 7.3 vs 6.0 ZF6 question

Rather than start another thread I thought I'd start with a thread that's related. I need an adapter plate that is for the ZF6. I have the part number F81Z7007CA. It is currently discontinued. The wrecking yards in the local area blow and the nearest yard that might have one is a 4 hour drive one way. Does anyone have a plate 7.3 ZF6 plate that is uninstalled who would be willing to trace it and mail me the tracing? Or better yet have a DFX file so I could take it to a plasma table and cut it that way? Also what is the exact thickness of the plate? I've found everything from 1/8" to 1/4"

Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode