Another tranny question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Another tranny question

So, it now appears that my tranny is slipping in first gear. I will not be able to pin it down until the weekend, but I have some Q's to clear up between now and then. Currently I have 176k on my Ex.

I'll say it right off. I would love a BTS, JW, etc.. But it is school tuition time and I have four kids, 2 in college and two in HS. All have tuition expenses. So I am not dropping 4K on a tranny right now. What I will do if I have to replace the tranny is get one off a dismantler or do the rebuilding of my existing one using a suncoast rebuild kit and the ATSG manuals I already have.
I successfully rebuilt a TH400 for my '67 Firebird years ago. So I think I can do the same here using a suncoast rebuild kit, maybe a BTS VB, my ATSG manuals and some help from a machine shop in order to get the case hot tanked etc. As long as nothing is broken.

With either option I plan on getting a new aftermarket TC, maybe a triple disc or at least something better than stock. I don't need to make anything indestructible, I just want it to be stronger than it was from the factory and run well for a long time.

Questions:
Can I use a 4R100 w/PTO option in my Ex. Ex's did not have that option, but I know the PTO option supposedly has more robust planetary's and clutch packs from what I read.

If I rebuild it myself, what other parts would / should I replace, ie. Output shafts, input shafts..

Lastly. The first thing I thought about was awesome! I get to stick a 6 speed manual in. But reality set in as it seems to be a daunting task, but not one I have given up hope on. So if someone who has done a AT to MT conversion in a SD wants to contribute, please be my guest as I would rather row my way down the street.

Thanks for all the valuable insight and comments.

2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, 38R,HO Outlet, IH Up-pipes, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp, Oil PSI at Turbo Pedestal

DP-Tuner 6 pos No Start - 140
Super Heavy Duty 4R100 / triple disc from ATO
Transmissions in Sacramento
ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:20 AM
All done now

Re: Another tranny question

If you can, move this to the tranny section. Mark Kovalsky can and will answer all of your questions.

Give RacerX a shout. He is a good sponsor that sells good parts at a good price, with very good knowledge.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks, good point

2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, 38R,HO Outlet, IH Up-pipes, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp, Oil PSI at Turbo Pedestal

DP-Tuner 6 pos No Start - 140
Super Heavy Duty 4R100 / triple disc from ATO
Transmissions in Sacramento
ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDiesel View Post
Can I use a 4R100 w/PTO option in my Ex. Ex's did not have that option, but I know the PTO option supposedly has more robust planetary's and clutch packs from what I read.
You can use a PTO option trans. The only difference that adds to the transmission's strength is that the coast clutch has one more plate. You could also add one more plate to a non-PTO trans. The planetaries are the same, except that the PTO trans has a gear on the outside to drive the PTO. That does not add to it's strength.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode