5 speed to 6 speed swap into a 97? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

5 speed to 6 speed swap into a 97?

I've got a 97 4x4 with 4.10 gears and a five speed. I don't do any hauling and am really looking for the best mileage. Will the six speed fit in my truck? is it worth the effort or is the sixth gear the same as my fifth gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 AM
PSN Local

Re: 5 speed to 6 speed swap into a 97?

im interested in this also since my auto might have just went out.

2001 GMC 2500HD duramax
03 Chevy Front Clip, Custom Fuel System, Tuned with EFI Live. Just a work truck.

HRT Performance
Mikes Diesel Performance
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:50 AM
PSN Veteran

in the gearing im not for sure,someone with more knowlage will chim in but i do believe that the 6speed and 5speed have close to the same ending gear

it will fit if you get a bfh or a 1inch body lift, their isnt quiet enough room in the obs tranny tunnel for the 6speed without doing the work stated

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:57 AM
SLOW LEARNER

I think they both have final drive ratio of 1:1 .Your best bet would be to swap someone for 3.55's.

94 F250 4x4 SC Origanlly IDI,Currently 97 PSD,F350 springs,axles,all of the below.38R 1.15AR,CON OFE,TW 6 Position,Tymar,DP,Adrenaline,Straight piped,Stage II injectors,Electric fuel,6.0 IC,Guages
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Actually, they both have overdrive top gears. ZF6 range is 5.79 to 0.72, ZF5 is 5.72 to 0.76. So the ZF6 mostly gets you closer ratios, not a wider range. +1 on the 3.55s for mileage.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
PSN Veteran

That's the wide ratios, typically our are the close ratios 4.14 to 0.77 for the ZF-5 (wanna see a pic of my transmission label? it show the ratios)

4th is 1:1 in the ZF-5, 5th is 0.77.

Nevertheless the ZF-6 is similar. 5th is 1:1 and 6th is .72

See here: ZF Manual / Standard Transmission Identification Parts and Diagrams

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:36 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingsnowman View Post
I've got a 97 4x4 with 4.10 gears and a five speed. I don't do any hauling and am really looking for the best mileage. Will the six speed fit in my truck? is it worth the effort or is the sixth gear the same as my fifth gear?
You could also look into a Gear Vendors overdrive unit if they are still available. You won't be able to use the unit in four wheel drive unless you find one that mounts between the transmission and transfer case. It would give you the best of both worlds, towing if need be (turns a 5 speed into a 10 speed), and an extra low overdrive gear. It would probably be the same money as swapping both axles to a 3.55 ratio unless you are capable of doing it yourself.

IMO, a six speed swap is not worth the effort for fuel mileage gains. There probably won't be enough difference to notice any gains.

For Sale: 2000 F350, black cc sb 4x4
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jngreen View Post
(turns a 5 speed into a 10 speed)
Actually, with the low range in the t-case, you end up with 20 forward gears (though probably with several cases of overlap).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode