Idi e40d into a psd - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Idi e40d into a psd

So I picked up a 4x4 95 with a zf5 that I can't find reverse in it. Gear just grinds. All the other gears are great. The truck needs some minor work and I plan to just use it as a work truck and plow truck.

I'm going to look at a 93 idi f350 that suposivly had the transmission replaced in it. Can I swap the transmissions out? I have a two wheel drive e40d and also two other trucks that were automatic. So the gear selector gauge in the dash is no problem getting along with the cable and any other parts if the idi versions are different.

What's the wireing and computers going to be like? Do they match up?

Or am I better off just getting a reman zf5 and a new clutch?

Thanks!

Black truck. 350/200 S472sxe arp, beehives, pushrods, fuel lab pump, stealth twins, swamps idm. Dana60 with ox locker. 33 row dorman transmission cooler. BTS transmission. 20x12 mo970 305/55 toyo open country.

2011 f350 36xxx 20x12s -44 leveled.

White. 230,xxx 1995 f250 Dana 60, 5inch diamond eye. 6637. Winter/work truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 12:54 PM
PSN Local

Re: Idi e40d into a psd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes95powerstroke View Post
So I picked up a 4x4 95 with a zf5 that I can't find reverse in it. Gear just grinds. All the other gears are great. The truck needs some minor work and I plan to just use it as a work truck and plow truck.

I'm going to look at a 93 idi f350 that suposivly had the transmission replaced in it. Can I swap the transmissions out? I have a two wheel drive e40d and also two other trucks that were automatic. So the gear selector gauge in the dash is no problem getting along with the cable and any other parts if the idi versions are different.

What's the wireing and computers going to be like? Do they match up?

Or am I better off just getting a reman zf5 and a new clutch?

Thanks!
Hey, I'm PMing you since you aren't too far from me. I'm getting set up for a e40d to a zf5 swap. No reason to go outside the family for these things, and I'm in RI so I'm only a few hours from you.

To answer you, yes. You can use the idi ones in a powerstroke. They're both diesel.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Alright guys. Still wondering what is needed as for the PCM and such. Are the idi PCM the same as the psd as for plug ins?

Black truck. 350/200 S472sxe arp, beehives, pushrods, fuel lab pump, stealth twins, swamps idm. Dana60 with ox locker. 33 row dorman transmission cooler. BTS transmission. 20x12 mo970 305/55 toyo open country.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Diesel Man

Send a message via Skype™ to DieselBronco

should watch out for the length of the output shaft on the trans... I took a trans out of a 95 2W psd and the output shaft was too long, because it went through some spacer thing that was in place of the transfer case. The borg warner transfer case on the 4WD truck did not fit over the output shaft. I ended up completely gutting both trannies just to swap out the output shafts. And yes you literally have to gut the whole trans to get to the output shaft. Just something to keep in mind if going from a 2W to 4W.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Not going from 2wd to 4wd. The donor truck is 4wd. The bell housings are the same, the torque converters have different numbers of bolts. No problem as I have another torque converter out of a psd. I'm thinking the only issue I'm going to have is the wireing. Unsure as to what is needed to wireing it up. I've got a 2wd PCM already which I'm thinking is the same as a 4wd one. Just the wireing harness and the shift solenoids I'm wondering about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode