Damage to transmission? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Damage to transmission?

Alright guys so I have looked around pretty good and have not found what I'm looking for. I just lifted my truck and put a set of 315/75/16's on it. So I'm sure the speedo is off and will get it re-cal'd down the road unless it is going to cause transmission problems now. The previous owner had 285's on it and must have had it re-cal'd because it was dead on before. I know the speedo is ran off the abs, but just want to make sure that it won't cause any damage to tranny with it being off. It does seem to shift a little different which I would have expected.
It's a 02 psd, automatic trans. Thanks!

02 F350 Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 60k original miles!, MBRP 4" exhaust, ATS Turbo upgrade, cold air intake, super chips 1705. (Came with the truck)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Damage to transmission?

You don't need to recal the speedo for the transmission. It won't affect the transmission at all.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cool, thanks, didn't think so but wanted to make sure. Wow just saw your sig, so is there anything I should worry about with the larger tires and auto transmission, it has 3.73 gears and seems fine, truck has really low miles on it and previous owner said they were all hwy miles and not towing anything.

02 F350 Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 60k original miles!, MBRP 4" exhaust, ATS Turbo upgrade, cold air intake, super chips 1705. (Came with the truck)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Larger tires make the trans work harder. You need to be sure to have enough transmission cooling. The stock system isn't very good.

If you replace the stock air to oil cooler with a cooler from a 6.0L truck you'll have all the cooling you need. Don't remove the radiator cooler, you need the cooling from that, too.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cool thanks

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 02:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02F350PSD View Post
Cool thanks
That's punny... (You started it.)

Mark, as a larger tire increases all gears by the same percentage, which means the 2nd gear is more affected than first, and third more than 2nd, etc, does a chip reprogrammed to change the shift points make sense?

Also, does an aftermarket torque converter with a lower stall help or hurt?

1996 F250 CCSB, 4x4, auto PSD, stainless window vents.

Signature file limitations keep me from sharing more information. Follow this link to find my threads: D60 RSK install, Air vent cleaning, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojr View Post
Mark, as a larger tire increases all gears by the same percentage, which means the 2nd gear is more affected than first, and third more than 2nd, etc, does a chip reprogrammed to change the shift points make sense?
I don't understand. How does larger tires affect the gears? I don't see why you would want to change the shift points just because of larger tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojr View Post
Also, does an aftermarket torque converter with a lower stall help or hurt?
I think it helps. In my opinion the stock converter stalls at too high of an RPM.

Mark

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 12:58 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
I don't understand. How does larger tires affect the gears? I don't see why you would want to change the shift points just because of larger tires.
Are the shift points based on RPM or MPH?

If RPM, than forget my question.

1996 F250 CCSB, 4x4, auto PSD, stainless window vents.

Signature file limitations keep me from sharing more information. Follow this link to find my threads: D60 RSK install, Air vent cleaning, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

They are based on the RPM of the ring gear in the rear axle.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode