Trans fluid still leaking? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Trans fluid still leaking?

I replaced the solenoid pack in the trans and put it all back together and filled it up. Next morning had a big puddle under the truck. Looked like it was coming from one of the corners of the pan. Figured the "re-useable" gasket had seen it's last re-use. Checked the pan, didn't see anything that looked bent. Got a brand new re-useable gasket from ford and a tube of permatex just for the hell of it. I put goo on both sides of the gasket and stuck it on. Let it sit plenty of time for it to seal up, then filled it. Drove it around the block to test it out and all.

This is the part of the story where I got real cranky. Parked the truck to see if it was leaking, didn't see anything so I was all kinds of excited. Went to back the truck in the driveway and discovered my tranny was toast, reverse and neutral both drive forward. So I am assuming my clutches are welded together.

Aside from that little issue, after driving through some yards to get my truck parked, there was a big puddle under it again in the morning.

New gasket plus permatex, no stripped bolts, pan doesn't appear to be deformed. But it still leaks and looks like it is coming from where the pan meets the casing. Since I will be needing to do something about the tranny I am wondering what to do to fix the leak, I don't want a new tranny with fluid leaking. Is there any way the casing could be deformed at all? New pan? Could the fluid be coming from anywhere else, I felt around and cleaned stuff up and I don't think it is.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode