Flashing OD light, low km mileage truck? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Flashing OD light, low km mileage truck?

Hey Guys,

Need some insight.

96 F250 4x2 all stock, 115,000 kms (70,000) miles. OD light just started flashing on way to work out of town today. Don't have my code reader with me, think it's reverting to limp mode as it's shifting just a tad harder. Seems to shift through all gears up and down, fluid level seems fine, speedo is smooth. Truck has never been abused and has ran flawlessly. Bought it over a year ago with 55 kms on it

Think I'm gonna reset the PCM by pulling #9 under hood maxi fuse.

Also just wondering if I should replace the batteries as they are pretty old now and she pulls the charge down when firing up in the mornings could this mess with PCM and shift strategy and trigger OD light to flash?

Thanks for your suggestions

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: Flashing OD light, low km mileage truck?

Quick update reset PCM. No OD light flashing now.... Not driven that far yet but will give it a longer run today. When I notice light flashing the other day had been on cruise control for for an hour or more so not sure if that had anything to do with it and was also in the dark. Will check all bulbs, I know my right trailer signal circuit is not working properly.
jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Whenever the light is flashing pressure is raised and it will shift harder. The limp mode that everyone talks about is a myth.

You can keep checking things, but if you knew what codes were set you could actually fix this.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Whenever the light is flashing pressure is raised and it will shift harder. The limp mode that everyone talks about is a myth.

You can keep checking things, but if you knew what codes were set you could actually fix this.
Thanks for the clarification Mark. As I'm away from home till Friday night, in remote area for work 3.5 hours away. I thought best would be to reset PCM as my code reader autoenginuity is at home... So yes totally agree with pulling codes to better diagnose. Seems to be running per normal now after reset? Will pull codes although not sure I'll find anything due to reset.

Thanks again,

jrc

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

There are no codes now. The code will reset if the problem happens again.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks Mark figured the reset would wipe out stored codes. So far been running fine and have put on 500 kms (300 miles) plus in the last couple days.

jrc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode