E4OD Build ?'s - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

E4OD Build ?'s

I am just about ready to build my trans, as in dropping it in the next couple of weeks, and have some questions about what will need to be replaced. I had been talking to one of the vendors on here that I WAS going to buy parts from, trying to figure out what internals would need to be changed to hold be prospective power, but all of a sudden was told be said vendor that communication with him needed to stop. So here I am, trying to find out what parts I will need to upgrade to hold probably about 450 hp in a 96 F-250 that will be on 38's.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. And I wont say the vendors name, but if you know who you are and would like to make things right, please pm me.

1996 F-250
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ext. cab, l/b, 4x4, john wood trans
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, home built intake and 5" stack
, and more in the works

Go to:

for an up to date story on the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM
lets get smoking

Send a message via AIM to dieseltec192008
Re: E4OD Build ?'s

first youll need to change the valve body and torque converter and input and output shafts
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:13 PM
6.4's are my Hero.

Send a message via AIM to Reubine

Send a PM to RacerX, and talk to him if you arn't allready.

'95 Ford F-350, CC,4x4,SWAMPS 300/200Hybrids,H-11 Head studs,Comp 910 Springs,Chromemoly push rods,modded TE 17*, GARRETT GT40 TURBO,built trans with 3 disc billet convertor,SWAMPS 6 position chip,3"DP to 6" single, IDM Mod,Gauges,'02 SD IC,Electric Fuel system and bunch of other stuff.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I suppose I should have mentioned that I had a basic plan for what to do to start with.

I was definately going to do: input shaft, performance clutch pack, transgo tugger kit, mag hy-tec deep pan, x224 ring and plate kit, and a triple disk converter. I was going to do the output shaft down the road because of money, and at this point the only performance mods on the truck are a home built exhaust and intake.

Thanks for the input so far.

1996 F-250
, and more in the works

Go to:

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfracer View Post
mag hy-tec deep pan, .... I was going to do the output shaft down the road because of money.
You'd be FAR better off to skip the high dollar pan and use the money for the output shaft.

The pan doesn't gain you anything but looks, and to change the output shaft later means taking the trans out and completely tearing it down.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM
OBS junkie

Mark's right, you don't need a large $200 pan on your tranny. They look nice but that money can be put towards stronger parts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Doesn't a pan allow for more fluid and thereby lower trans temps? I know this is the case with the dodges. I also know higher temps kill the trans (the converter slips, builds temp, eats trans, but more fluid lowers temps; at least that is how it works in the dodges and I don't think that they are that much different as far as the mechanical function goes). Not saying you guys are wrong, just that is my understanding of the situation, please correct me if I am wrong.

Second, I was unaware that the trans would have to be taken apart in order to change the output shaft. Once again with the dodge, I believe the trans does have to be lowered, but it is not that hard to change the shaft. (My brother is big into high power dodges so he pretty well knows his s**t.) Once again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for the help.

1996 F-250
, and more in the works

Go to:

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

You're wrong on both counts. A larger pan hold more fluid, but does little if anything for cooling. A COOLER will cool the fluid, the pan just holds it. There is not a lot of heat transfer from the bulk fluid through the pan. There is a boundry layer of fluid against the wall of the pan and that works surprisingly well at blocking heat transfer. I'm probably getting further into fluid dynamics and heat transfer than you want to hear. But I did this for the last three years of my career at Ford. A pan DOES NOT cool the trans fluid.

As for the output shaft, it isn't that hard to change. All you need to do is remove the trans, take out the torque converter, the pump, an ALL the rotating parts. Once EVERYTHING is out of the trans, install the new shaft, and rebuild the trans. I know some transmission mechanics that could get all of this done in about an hour. It isn't that hard once you've done a few hundred of them.

I was a Ford trans engineer for over 18 years. I have some idea of how these things work.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I was never saying your wrong, and your credintials are definately better than mine. Thank you for giving me a good reason for why I was wrong and explaining how it works better. Honestly, I am very intersted in the exact reasons for why it works, so the more in-depth info I get, the happier I am. If you would like, please do go further into the fluid dynamics and heat transfer stuff. I know this may sound sarcastic, but I really am interested in this kind of stuff, I like to know how things work more than most people.

1996 F-250
, and more in the works

Go to:

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Here is another somewhat related question. How important is it to do an output shaft. I notice that John Wood only puts the billet output shaft into his stage 3 trans that is claimed to hold 1000hp. Will the stock output hold 400-450hp?

1996 F-250
, and more in the works

Go to:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode