Possible transmission problem? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Possible transmission problem?

Hi everyone, I've got a problem with my truck that just surfaced. I have just finished a few mods to my 2002 f350 7.3L auto trans, cold air intake, ww2, hydra chip. Loving the new power and haven't really tested it out yet because something is Amis... As long as I'm in forward running gears nothing is out of the ordinary but come to a stop, put in reverse I start to get a god awful vibration and dull grinding noise that doesn't go away until it goes into a forward gear again. From reverse to park the sound and vibration is still there but not as bad as when in reverse. I did these mods one at a time to make sure they each worked on there own and when the hydra chip is in bypass it still doesn't. I was on my test run with the hydra chip when this started happening and have not romped on the throttle yet. I'm hoping you all can help me diagnosis this problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Possible transmission problem?

any ideas?

2002 f350 extended cab short bed, espar heater, 8.5" western mvp3, white rogers gpr, 6637 intake, ww2, 4"exhaust, php hydra
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 08:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Is the sound present at all in drive? It sounds like the converter may be failing.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I'm really bad at diagnosing noises that I can't hear. My guess is that something on the engine or transmission is touching the cab.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
Is the sound present at all in drive? It sounds like the converter may be failing.
He said the nose goes away in drive. So how would the converter know to fail in reverse, but not in drive?

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 08:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
He said the nose goes away in drive. So how would the converter know to fail in reverse, but not in drive?
I did not see that, that is why i asked. I must have over-read it. The converter cant be the problem if it is gone in drive.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the ideas guys. I still haven't found it. I tried to get a video of the noise but with the nature of the 7.3 motor the noise that I am hearing and feeling cannot be noticed in the video. But I have been trying to figure it out and it is too puzzling to me that I am going to try and block it out and wait for it to rear it's ugly head. My transmission pulls nice and strong, engagement and shifts are smooth so I think it has to do with something other than the trans or converter

2002 f350 extended cab short bed, espar heater, 8.5" western mvp3, white rogers gpr, 6637 intake, ww2, 4"exhaust, php hydra
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:23 AM
PSN Local

Check out your transmission or motor mounts?

Matt
Early 1999 F250 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 liter Lariet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode