Tranny Fluid:Flush or Change? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Tranny Fluid:Flush or Change?

Hey Guys,

I have a 06 F250 with the 5r110 Tranny. My question is should i flush the full tranny or just change the fluid and filter?? I know that having the Tranny flushed at Ford is like 260 bucks as opposed to just buying a filter and fluid and doing it myself. As always thanks in advance guys!

-Tyler

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Tranny Fluid:Flush or Change?

I think the reason for the price difference is that in once case, you are doing the entire fluid and in your home job, you are doing a few quarts. How do you plan to change the fluid in the TC?

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

hell i was just going to drain and drop the pan and change the filter then add the quarts. I knew why it costs so much, i knew that when they flush the tranny they have to replace all the fluid, which im sure is a butt load!

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
PSN Veteran

You don't have a drain plug in your TC so I suspect you will have to do it the same way I am doing mine.

1. Drop the pan and filter.
2. Add fluid
3. Overfill by 4 quarts
4. Run engine with the return line removed
5. When bucket of fluid reaches 4 quarts, stop
6. Repeat 3-5

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Damn, maybe i should just take it to Ford and let them do it. Im getting ready to go back to work so i cant have my truck tied up. Thanks for the reply Aklim

Quote:
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Anyone else?

Quote:
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:31 PM
PSN Veteran

the flush thing IMO (even though scientifically works) I think its a joke, you will have old fluid mixing with new..

I would suggest draining the fluid dropping the pan and replace the filter there and the filter on the passenger side frame rail.

On the torque converter..he is a method that was suggest to me, I never tried it..once the pan is dropped, and the fluid is gone, crank the truck and let it run for 10seconds, then turn it off, repeat this method several times until the converter empties itself.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

so how many quarts am i looking at to replace? Ive heard that flushing the tranny can mess it up?

Quote:
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:57 PM
PSN Veteran

I think its like 22 quarts with emptying the converter
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker67 View Post
Ive heard that flushing the tranny can mess it up?
Old wives tale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode