Temps higher hard shifting after new fluid? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Fire junkie

Temps higher hard shifting after new fluid?

Ok I changed my fluid today here is what / how I did it

Drained pan and removed
Removed and replaced new fliter
Drained TC
Blew (low psi) cooler lines and cooler out
Refilled with 12 quarts Mobile 1 syn.
Started truck and moved thru gears some, then backed it off the ramps
Added 5 more quarts

Went for a test drive and all seemed ok, was shifting ok at that time. Had to run into town to buy a new washer and noticed that the temps were higher than normal ~165 or so, normally even with our hot days I would not see over 150 plus the shift from 3rd to 4th was / is pretty hard, I do have a shift kit in it and always been a firm shift but its been getting worse harder here latley, on the drive after changeing it was shifting real nice all the way up, so what do you guys think? could I have a air bubble in the cooler line that is not allowing the fluid to flow all the way through? thanks

stay safe out there
Roy

96 F250 C.C. , Rebuilt E4ODx2, open air intake, Hypermax downpipe,straight 4", Stage 1's, Autometer EGT, Boost, & Tran temp, Upgraded trannie cooler, Custom home built front & rear bumpers, head ache rack and 60 gal. Aux. fuel tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Crazy Talk

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokenstang
Re: Temps higher hard shifting after new fluid?

have you checked the dipstick to see if its over full? they will run hot just 1qt over.

1996 F-250 ex-cab -D60- Motor,fire hoses-Nate,Tuning,Cam-Matt R,P-rods,dummy plugs-Wipe Out,Huffer-Engineered diesel,Carson,Gen3,Idm-Swamps,Rods,studs,fire rings-WOP,Clutch-Valair
455/400's in,S475 T-6 mounted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'84 f-350 2wd, 6.9l, 4spd, drw, flatbed. For Sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 AM
PSN Veteran

Did you drain the conv? If not theres some old left in there. Did you have Mobil 1 before? Personally I don't know if the syn and the Mercon will mix. And I have heard as previously mentioned that overful will make them run hot.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Fire junkie

I will double check the level but pretty sure its on the mark, yes I drained the TC, and yes it was Mobile 1 (been running it for yrs now) thanks for the input

stay safe out there
Roy

96 F250 C.C. , Rebuilt E4ODx2, open air intake, Hypermax downpipe,straight 4", Stage 1's, Autometer EGT, Boost, & Tran temp, Upgraded trannie cooler, Custom home built front & rear bumpers, head ache rack and 60 gal. Aux. fuel tank
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

There isn't an air bubble in the cooler or lines. Once the engine starts the pump will push all of the air out of the cooler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode