zf6 shifting issue..think its an easy fix but not sure - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
NOW ITS A LOVE HATE THING

zf6 shifting issue..think its an easy fix but not sure

hey all, truck has been running awesome for the past year. the only issue I needed to do what the clutch pedal linkage repair with the heim joint fix but ive been lazy as I rarely use the clutch to shift.

So, lately ive been have to slam the stick into reverse when I need it. well I got to work the other day and when I slammed it into reverse, the gear shifted but I felt the stick travel down farther than normal. I returned the stick to neutral and it went but it felt as if the stick was about to snap in half (Like when you bend metal back and forth and it starts to get weak just before it snaps).
I got back in the truck after work to get home and was hoping that I could get it into a gear to get home on. I was able to get the truck moving without any problems, but Ive noticed that when I shift to 2,4 and reverse gears the stick travels farther down than normal and I feel that scary feeling like the stick is going to snap from weakness. when I move the back to the 1,3,5, gear it shift into the gear and the stick returns to normal position. Im starting to think somehow the shifter fork is slipping out of some sort of guide when shifting into 2,4,or reverse.
There are no grinding or funny sounds when shifting. I was hoping this was something that I could have done from the top but im thinking im going to have to pull the tranny out. any help is appreciated. sorry for the long post

1997 f250 7.3l all stock 250,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: zf6 shifting issue..think its an easy fix but not sure

The site won't let me edit the post from my mobile. Tranny is zfs547.. All the research I've been looking at leads me to believe I might have messed up the shift rails, if my thinking is accurate can they replaced? I'm pulling the tranny tomorrow to investigate what's going on. Any help or ideas are appreciated.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:53 PM
PSN Veteran

I would start by pulling the shifter off from inside the cab, and then if you have to, pull the top assembly off the tranny and do some more exploring from there. A LOT less work than pulling the tranny, and you might just find something out of place that you can tackle from there.

That said, it's not unthinkable that it's the shifter itself that's about to snap, as you suspect. My wife had an '83 F-150 with that Mazda top-loader 4-speed. She's 120 soaking wet, and pretty average strength. Still managed to break the shifter clean off one day. Said it felt just as you described; kinda weak and ready to break at one moment, and the next moment it's a scene from a Jerry Lewis movie. In either case, whether it's the shifter or something more "internal", I'd bet a nickel it's the, er, spirited shifting you have to do, not using the clutch, that led to it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.. I did take the to of grin inside the cab but nothing looked obvious. I did notice where the shift lever connects to the sift fork(the ball end that suits I the circular socket) had a crack on the top screw, it dissent feel lose but maybe with all the pressure from shifting maybe it forces open and the stick has more play as a result? Anyway I can shift the tranny by hand with out the stick I it so I can test my theory? Like you said I'd rather not drop the tranny, cause if I do might as well do a rebuild while I'm down there.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

solved!! man I feel like an idiot but I know nothing about transmissions and frankly I find them kind of intimidating. anyway while futher inspecting the area where the stick fit into the transmission and seeing the movement it make to engage a gear. it didn't make sense to me that the stick could travel any farther in the down position because the ball in the shift fork is pretty deep. so I began to inspect the stick and that crack I specified earlier looked more suspicious, I place the end in a vise and gave a few tugs..that when I saw the metal flex and separate on the crack. that explains why it felt like metal about to break on me, because is was. I included a picture of the broken part. anyone help me identify it? everywhere im looking I have to buy the entire stick, but it looks like it seperates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141014_172034.jpg (19.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20141014_172438.jpg (13.7 KB, 13 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

I found out it didn't separate from the stick and that I'd have to buy another. Best price I could find was 100.00 since the yard in my areas didn't seem to have any. I couldn't do that, so I found a shop up the road to weld the step together and retap the bolt hole. Good as new.. Plus I quit being lazy and finally bought the permanent powerstroke repair part from the clutch pedal and slave rod connecting from eBay. Should be here Saturday..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode