2005 F-350 skipping 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2005 F-350 skipping 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears

Hello all,
I have a 2005 F350 4x4. After getting to operating temp the trans will start shifting 1st, 3rd, 5th. It will skip 2nd, 4th, and not go into 6th gears. I'm using my scangauge to see which gear it is in. The scangauge does not show any transmission codes. I replaced the overdrive solenoid, both filters and new mercon LV fluid with no change. Sometimes, when accelerating hard, it will try to shift out of 1st to 3rd then jump back into 1st with a very hard kick, like somebody just rear-ended me.
Is there any other testing I need to do or should I just accept that I need a rebuild?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 11:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 2005 F-350 skipping 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears

Where are you located?

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Louisiana

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 01:54 PM
PSN Veteran

When you replaced the overdrive solenoid, was there a fair amount of metal in the pan? If so, it needs to come out for an overhaul. FYI, this trans does not use 4th gear unless its below 0*F. Its possible you have worn teflon sealing rings on the pump stator causing low or no pressure to the overdrive clutches, or damaged overdrive clutches. Are there any codes? I would think there would be with it 'skipping' gears. Is the truck tuned? If so, put it back to stock and see if it still does it. If you need someone to rebuild it if you do not do it local, PM me.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Not much metal in the pan at all. magnet had a little metal but not a lot. fluid was clean. No codes on the scangauge. Truck is completely stock, about 270k miles on it. I bought it at around 200k so I dont know if anyone has been in the transmission yet. I was thinking about tackling the rebuild myself. I am a 15 year auto tech, I've been in a couple manual transmissions, just never an automatic. I've always wanted to, just never had the time. Would I be getting in over my head on this one?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 04:05 AM
PSN Local

I am pretty sure that the ScanGauge can't read transmission codes. I would have it checked with a higher level scanner to see what codes are stored for the transmission.

2006 F-250 6.0 Auto CC SB 4x4
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 06:48 PM
PSN Local

You running Mercon LV in the Tranny.. the 05 Like mine calls or Mercon SP in the trans.. might want to check your owners manually.. and flush it if it calls for SP. From want i know they are not interchangeable... from the ford website....

Not for use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended

Motorcraft® Transmission Fluids – The Official Ford Parts Site | FordParts.com

Sean
2005 F250 Harley CC SB Banks IQ, 4" Exhaust, Banks Techi Cooler with High Ram, Cold Air Intake, Cat Delete,EGR Delete,Coolant Filter,Amsoil Oil Filter Bypass, PHP ECM Rollback, PHP FICM Tuner, WW2,Rancho 9000XL shocks. Firestone Air Springs w/Daystar Cradles. 224K
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

MERCON SP and MERCON LV are interchangeable. They will mix just fine. The 2005 Owner's Manual(ly) won't mention MERCON LV because it didn't exist in 2005.

Shifting 1-3-5 means the overdrive clutch is not applying. You do need to read the codes with a high end scan tool and Ford specific software. Without knowing what codes are stored all I can tell you is that the overdrive clutch isn't applying. I could be the clutch itself, a solenoid, or the wiring to the solenoid. The codes will narrow it down.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode