trans temp concerns - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

trans temp concerns

i have 5R110 and it is actually my third one. but about a month ago i noticed my fluid temp slowly creeping up. i got out checked fluid it read full and didnt smell burnt. this has progressively been getting worst up until today when i traveling a total of about four miles red light to red light it reached 210 in 104 weather. I know fluid starts to cook around 220, but i am worried it will get there. any suggestions. fluid change and flush maybe moded cooler suggested addictives. I really dont need to toast another one.

04 leaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: trans temp concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch6.0 View Post
moded cooler suggested addictives.
What does that mean? I don't understand.

I think you may have plugged coolers. Are the two trans coolers the same ones for all three transmissions? If so, parts of the first two transmissions are plugging the coolers, preventing them from cooling the fluid.

There is no way to clean them, they have to be replaced.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 01:03 PM
King Dingaling

read post #1

TANKS Library - Powerstroke Nation

I run between 190-210 everyday....I change my tranny oil every 25k

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

i am not to positive but am nearly positive that the company who replaced the tranny flushed it extensively if not replaced it. I tank this chart is very comforting hahah i am haunted by the 5R110 and this is the first tranny that i have witnessed get hot the others i just grenanded them.

04 leaker
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Chandler,

Your cooler was flushed every time. It was not replaced per Brian's instructions. we also changed the external filter at the front of the truck, but it may help to change that again.

being 104 outside, they are going to run hot. just about every 6.0, even stock, runs 170-190 in this weather. 210 is a little hot for comfort though. Change the spin on filter on the front of the truck, and drop the pan and do a flush/filter change. Mercon SP is the ONLY fluid you can use.

btw, ill check your tune out to make sure none of the fan settings were dicked with. Can you hear the fan come on from time to time or is it NEVER on?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Caption This

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie View Post
Chandler, Your cooler was flushed every time. It was not replaced per Brian's instructions.
Well there you go, issue identified. Looks like Mark was correct.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Proud Sponsor

5r trans coolers (as Mark stated the 5r authority)cannot be flushed, it will need to be replaced and I would suggest flushing the trans fluid again after the new cooler is installed.

Adam Brannan
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

why cant the coolers be flushed, and thanks chris i was not doubting you didnt flush the coolers but i will certainly flush and change the filter soon. at night the temp sits at about 150 and it really hasnt climbed anymore and no i dont ever here the fan kick on

04 leaker
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Caption This

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch6.0 View Post
why cant the coolers be flushed
Yours has been flushed two times so they can be flushed. You can also piss on a house fire.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

There are things called turbulators in the coolers. These disrupt the flow of ATF in the coolers. They also make excellent traps for small bits of debris. You'll never get all the bits out, but over time some of them will work loose and find there way into the new trans, which can cause failures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode