E4OD Shifting in and out of OD. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

E4OD Shifting in and out of OD.

'95 F350, C&C Dually Dump. 106,xxx miles.
Last year, I had the trans rebuilt by a very respectable shop. I work the truck extremely hard, and I have been very happy with the trans.
The truck, with both tanks full, and me sitting in it weighs right about 8000lbs. I've been hauling my bobcat and trailer and they weigh an additional 13000lbs.
Anyway, last night, taking off at the bottom of a couple of hills, I could hear the pump whine. It's all back road driving to get home for about 22-23 miles. I have always manually used OD once up to cruising speed, so the trans doesn't have to "hunt" for gears.
Once I would get up to a cruising speed, the trans would start shifting in and out of OD. If I either let off the throttle, or stepped on it, it would straighten up.
Also, if I manually took it out of OD, it worked fine, too.
When I got home, I checked the fluid, but I couldn't tell with that damned yellow dipstick. So, I dumped a quart in it. I unhooked the trailer, drove hard for a few miles, and it acted fine.
Think it might have just been low on fluid? Any thoughts? If it acts up again, I'll call Leonard at the trans shop, and see what he thinks. He is well known for guaranteeing his work.
Just wanted to throw it out and see what you all thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 02:19 PM
PSN Local

Re: E4OD Shifting in and out of OD.

the stick is a bit hard to see. I tip it over and try to see the difference between shiny and non shiny. that way it a bit easier to see..

sounds like you might have been a bit low.. check it cold level ground and see where you are on fluid level..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: E4OD Shifting in and out of OD.

So far, it's acting fine. I haven't had the bobcat hooked to it. But I have had the dump filled with sand a couple of times. There's a little red around the gasket. All the bolts took 1/2 a turn to tighten. Maybe it was just a little low.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode