Transmission People, your advice pls! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Transmission People, your advice pls!

Hi guys,

So my 6.0 went under the knife a couple months ago for the typical upgrades like studs, ported manifolds, exhaust, exhaust manifolds, etc. Based on what I have read, I should be in the neighborhood of 425-450 ish hp and 750 or more torque at max power. Won't be getting a bigger turbo or larger sticks.

The stock converter is rated at 750 torque so I was going to upgrade it... but the one manufacturer that is close by told be their trans shop will probably not grant me a warrenty on the thing cuz it's going in a used transmission. The truck currently sits at 250 XXX kms/150 XXX miles.

I heard these transmissions are pretty tough. Then it go me thinking. I bought this truck second hand and I am unaware of it's service history. When I bought it, I got the trans fluid tested and it was definiately overdue (obvisously got it flushed at the dealership). The trans is a big unknown it would seem cuz the problems (if any) are not well documented unlike the 6.0 engine.

I haven't had a problem with it. Shifts fine. Don't do a lot of hauling. Typicallly not my daily driver. Weather is typically moderate where I live. On the rare occasion, when I place it in "D" and hit the throttle, it might take a couple second to respond. Other than that, it seems fine.

I don't care so much about the warrenty (most of the time, they don't come in handy) as I am concerned with anything I should be doing or paying attention to. Should I just get the converter replaced and be done with it? What do you guys think?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Transmission People, your advice pls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyD View Post
The stock converter is rated at 750 torque so I was going to upgrade it...
Who rates it at that torque level? Ford certainly didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyD View Post
Should I just get the converter replaced and be done with it? What do you guys think?
I don't understand why you are replacing the converter. What's wrong with it?

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have read on this forum that the stock converter is rated right around that point. I don't know if "rated" is the right word to use but you get the idea; it is what some members believe the stock unit can handle, perhaps based on first hand experience.

Some time ago, I posted in the technical info section of this forum regarding the stock torque converter and the mods I was going to do in the future. In that post, it was suggested that an upgraded torque converter was a good idea. The member who suggested the upgrade had his stock converter burn out.

Anyway that's beside the point. I don't know a great deal about transmissions and I just want mine to be reliable with this additionally power so if there is any recommendations, it would be appreciated.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 06:41 PM
PSN Local

Drive it like it is. If you have any issues or extra money rebuild the trans with a little better parts and a triple disc converter. It's not a good idea to put a big expensive converter in front of a used trans. If there is a problem with the trans and it comes apart it will take the converter with it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 01:29 AM
PSN Local

I agree. I had a 2005 6.0 that dyno-ed @ 500/ 1000 rear wheel. Bought truck new, very good service by me. After going through the motor, I put a Go-Go DD solenoid and it performed flawlessly with 139K miles on it...until I rolled it on icey roads. Yes, I'm still sore about that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode