John Wood or BTS valve body? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

John Wood or BTS valve body?

I tried to search but didn't come up with much that would help, so here it is.

My father just bought another F350 7.3L, but this time its an automatic. He is going to be getting tunes from Bill at PHP, and Bill suggests that we also get a valve body for the truck since it is going to spend about 60% of the time towing a 14,000lb 5th wheel. When I asked Bill what brand of valve body he said that we couldn't go wrong with either a BTS or John Woods, but he would give a slight edge to the BTS. So I then did some searching on the site and others and have found that there is a lot of good to be said about both. And also the very little bit of bad that I was able to find about either one, their was just a hair more negative comments of the BTS. But is this because the BTS has more issues or because there are more BTS units out there, so of course with more units there are more possibility's that something could go wrong.

So which one is better or which one it better suited to heavy towing?

Thanks guys!!
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Young'n

Re: John Wood or BTS valve body?

Both really good, but i personally like BTS better, get a TC too
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:25 AM
PSN Veteran

I would say they both are good. I happen to have the JW and have been extreemly satisfied. Especially with the DPTuner helping. It shifts soooo good. I have no experience with BTS but have heard good things.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:31 AM
BrownBrothersPullingTeam

i havent had any experience with the john woods, but i have a BTS and i love it...

1999 F350 Lariat extended cab long bed dually, PSD,ported heads, studs, gen 3, 38r/1.15a/r, 300/100, and more Tuned by Matt owner of Gearhead Auto. Perf, John Woods Trans.

2006 F250 XLT 6.0
dual exhaust, egr delete, arp studs, regulated return kit, Modified Direct Clutch Solenoid, SCT Flash custom tuned by Matt, 58 volt FICM w/PHP Flash
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Go with the one thats closer to you or the dealer that you think will give the best customer service.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 AM
Young'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt View Post
Go with the one thats closer to you or the dealer that you think will give the best customer service.
cost less to ship
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeracing View Post
Both really good, but i personally like BTS better, get a TC too
I wouldn't put a fresh expensive TC with a used trans. If it breaks, you have to cut the TC apart, clean it, reweld it and rebalance it. $$$

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

I've had both and I liked both, but I do prefer how the JW shifts. That's why the JW is the one I sell.

That said, I'm quite sure you will be happy with either one. If Bill is more comfortable tuning for the BTS, you might lean that way. The VB is only part of the puzzle, tuning still has the final say on how it shifts.

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

/

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode