e40d tranny help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
1995 F250 7.3

e40d tranny help

i have a 95 7.3. I recently started having trouble with my transmission. When trying to take off, its slow and sluggish and I cant pull out in front of anyone cause I slowly increase in speed. Once im about 40 mph it feels as if my transmission starts to work again. any ideas? My OD light stays flashing.

Some history, a month ago i replaced my batteries and had a problem with a shortened wire that was blowing a fuse. the truck sat for about 3 or 4 days. as soon as i got it running i realized the trucks current condition with taking off...if i drive for more than about 30 miles or so fluid leaks from around the seal of the pan.

i also did have problems with the trans going into safe mode when down shifting...any info would be awesome!

1995 F250 7.3
303k miles.
3" Down Pipe, 4" diamond eye exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: e40d tranny help

The flashing OD light means one or more codes have been stored in the computer's memory. You MUST get these codes to determine what's wrong. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes. You need a good independent shop or a Ford dealer.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
1995 F250 7.3

Thanks for the response. I'll get on it right away!

1995 F250 7.3
303k miles.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
1995 F250 7.3

Sorry so late of a response but every code I looked up was for the shift solenoid which I did order. Before I was able to put it in the transmission started leaking heavy from the front cover that seems to be covering the torque converter. Would that be a cracked torque converter or just the seals? The tranny never locked up. I can still put it in gears. Even on park it has a steady stream of oil coming down. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

1995 F250 7.3
303k miles.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
1995 F250 7.3

The codes that the ford computer showed were

P0750
P0755
P1705
P1747
P1754
P0476
P1280
P1748

1995 F250 7.3
303k miles.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:08 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The leak could be a cracked torque converter or a failed seal. The only way to know which one is to take the trans out and see where it is leaking.

Did you replace the solenoid body? I don't think you can only replace the shift solenoids. And you have codes for other solenoids, too. I think it is far more likely that your wiring harness to the transmission is damaged than the solenoids are bad.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
1995 F250 7.3

I haven't replaced the solenoid pack yet. I'm gonna try to find someone that can drop the transmission for me.

As for the wiring harness. ..i will definitely look into that. Are you talking about the connection just outside the transmission on the driver side or the passenger side? If so should i just replace the connection or should i check the entire length of the wiring?

Thanks for the feedback.

1995 F250 7.3
303k miles.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio7.3 View Post
I haven't replaced the solenoid pack yet. I'm gonna try to find someone that can drop the transmission for me.
I'm not clear on this. You do not need to drop the trans to change the solenoid pack. You do need to drop it to fix the leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio7.3 View Post
As for the wiring harness. ..i will definitely look into that. Are you talking about the connection just outside the transmission on the driver side or the passenger side? If so should i just replace the connection or should i check the entire length of the wiring?
If the problem is at the connection and the rest of the wiring is fine, then you only need to fix the connection. How would you know this without checking the wiring harness?

Mark

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
1995 F250 7.3

I'm gonna drop the transmission to replace the seal...or the torque converter. Which ever is the problem. While the transmission is out I'll replace the solenoid pack. Sorry for the confusion.

And I may have to replace the connections. They do look a little worn.

Thanks again mark.

1995 F250 7.3
303k miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode