Rattling sound coming from bellhousing , Torque Converter? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
d-man

Rattling sound coming from bellhousing , Torque Converter?

Hey guys theres a rattling type of sound coming from the bellhousing, and it got louder when i took the inspection plate off. I checked the bolts connecting the torque converter to the flywheel and they are all tight and the sound seems to go away when you bring it off idle like when its under a load. Could it be the torque converter making noise? has anyone had any problems like this before? i heard another truck this week making a similar noise but wasnt quite as loud as mine. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2005 F350 CCLB King Ranch, 2.5"' Level, 35" Toyos on 08 20's, EGR Delete, 5" MBRP, Blue Spring, 6.4 Banjos, Rotella ELC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Rattling sound coming from bellhousing , Torque Converter?

Sounds like an early 99. If so it's the original tc. They all rattled like that. If & when you replace it that will go away. If it's a newer truck then you might have a problem.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
d-man

ya its an early 99, it wont hurt anything if i drive it like this will it? or should i go ahead and replace it right away?

2005 F350 CCLB King Ranch, 2.5"' Level, 35" Toyos on 08 20's, EGR Delete, 5" MBRP, Blue Spring, 6.4 Banjos, Rotella ELC

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 AM
PSN's resident Blue Man

Mine rattled for two years before I got the truck to BTS. I was told (by Ford ) the rattle was OK as long as the TC wasn't slipping, something to do with clips or shims or something like that.

I wasn't prepared for how quiet the truck was after Brian got done with it. I guess you get used to the noise after a while. I would've replaced the TC long before I did if I had any idea how noisy it was.

Early '99, 4X4, CC, SB, Fire Engine Red
-JNB Fuel System, Sinister Overboost, C2 gauges, AFE Stage II w/ "JAT99" Intake Pipe, CCV Bypass, 3.5 dp to 4" exhaust.
-BTS Trans and Converter
-WOP QSSB Turbo
-Terminator HPOS
-DP F5 w/ 60Tow, 80Econ, 120Race, 140Extreme, High Idle, Upgraded to PMT PCM - Live tuned
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 AM
HHAUL'N STROKER

My e99 rattled like hell before I replaced the tc. The sound drove me nuts!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
d-man

Alright cool thanks guys i just dont wanna screw anything up by driving it and, ya its pretty annoying, i think im gonna try to put a billet torque converter in it as soon as i can

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:14 AM
PSN Veteran

Mine had 107,000 miles when I bought it. Orig conv. Rattled like a can of bolts. At 133,000 the frt seal started leaking so had that replaced and thought wile I had the labor invested I had them replace the tc and uppipes while the trans was out. What a difference. But if it's performing ok leave it. They are not known to last a lot of miles if you tow heavy though. It's a lot of $$$ if you don't need to replace it. When you do check the up pipes. The labor to replace those is a LOT cheaper with the trans out.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode