4r100 trans problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4r100 trans problems

The truck in my sig is having some trans issues. It was rebuilt at 92k local builder with a twin disc converter. At about 100k I noticed a shutter when rolling under idle power. At that time the truck was stock and if I put the petal to the metal it worked great. I took it back to the builder and they said it was the planetary (what ever that is) but would not warranty it as I was over the warranty time. (Losers lost my business for ever!)

It is still doing the shutter thing but now with the chip added it slides into drive and overdrive under 3/4 to full power runs. When it is doing this if I let out of the power it goes right into gear. 1st to second shifts and second to drive are firm and crisp. When driving normal it works flawlessly. I do not drive it hard and it only tows a small boat. I have never seen the trans temp over 155.

Any ideas would be great. Wondering if it might be the chip or maybe it could use a valve body upgrade. The T/C locks up just fine under full power but is a bit harsh.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2001 Crew Cab Lariat F350 4x4 Auto 120k

Mods:
Level kit
Ranch Hand brush guard
Gauges trans, boost, pyro
4" Exhaust
DP Tuner
Rebuilt trans at 92k Local rebuild twin disc

Future mods in order:
Trans cooler
6.0 Intercooler mabey
Stage 1 singles
38r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 4r100 trans problems

-Bump-

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Mods:
Level kit
Ranch Hand brush guard
4" Exhaust
DP Tuner

Future mods in order:
Trans cooler
6.0 Intercooler mabey
Stage 1 singles
38r
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM
PSN Local

Sounds like its slipping. More power (chip) = more slipping. I would think any reputable transmission shop would do more then just say " your out of warranty " if you only had 8k miles on THERE rebuild! That would make me question what all they did when they rebuilt it. My guess is trany needs gone thru again, sorry.

"It's JUSTa 7.3"

His - 01 F-350 Reg cab 4x4 auto
Hers - 00 F-350 Crew long bed 4x4 auto
Kids - 01 EX Limited
Toy - 97 F-350 Reg cab 4X4 5spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Try giving BTS a call. He might be able to help you or at least give you some advice what to do. Or he could sell you a new trans that you won't have problems with. 870-422-3673

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Everybody poops <~ see?

Send a message via MSN to dennisr_f350

Check you fluid level, but more importantly check it for ANY particulate debris in your fluid. Look closely for what would look like pepper in your ATF, or worse would small metal shards. This will indicate what's coming apart inside your transmission. Tranny failures are ALWAYS a chain reaction, until it's big enough to stop you in your tracks.
What type of TC was installed? Was it a FoMoCo part?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F350 SuperDuty
Some air
Some fuel
Some grip
Some guages
The usual suspects.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the replies. I checked the fluid level last week and it was full and did not smell burnt. I will check for the pepper look or metal tonight when I get home. The TC came from a local supplier in Portland, OR but I don’t remember their name. My dream is to get a BTS but the funds are short at this time so I am just trying to milk this one for a bit longer. I will also give BTS a call and see what he says I just hate bugging them when I am not ready to buy. Does Brian mind that sort of thing?

Thanks

Mods:
Level kit
Ranch Hand brush guard
4" Exhaust
DP Tuner

Future mods in order:
Trans cooler
6.0 Intercooler mabey
Stage 1 singles
38r
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACDRAFT View Post
I will also give BTS a call and see what he says I just hate bugging them when I am not ready to buy. Does Brian mind that sort of thing?

Thanks
Probably not. He didn't mind my bugging him for stuff. He even talked me thru taking my shifter off while I was doing it.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode