Tranny Problems. Lockup - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Tranny Problems. Lockup

Just yesterday I noticed that my trans was having an issue when slowing down or stopping. The best I can tell the TC is not unlocking. I come to a stop or slow down a lot and it starts lurching and loping like if you locked the TC with a switch. Usually if I am coming to a stop it will un lock after a few seconds and taking off is fine, but sometimes if I am only slowing down to 20mph or so it will stay locked and when I go to accelerate it is obviously very sluggish and just dumps smoke.

So how is that all controlled? I am assuming electrical since a switch can control it. I don't think my TC is bad but even if it were would it cause problems such as this.

I have also noticed sometimes when going down the highway it won't stay locked, it will lock, un lock, lock, unlock, back and forth. And this is at 60+mph so it should deffinitely be locked. Could this be the same issue?

Another thing I have noticed occasionally is that when taking off from a stop it will not shift down into 1st gear. It stays in OD. I can manually shift it and it is fine. Usually this is after the trans gets a bit warm, but still not very warm, like above 160-180 and it doesn't always do it.

Could all of this be related? I'm not very familiar with trans stuff. Could it be a solenoid pack or something? Fluid and filter is all in good shape, just recently changed, and relatively no metal on the magnet.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:10 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred
Re: Tranny Problems. Lockup

Check the plug on the passenger side rear of the transmission for trans fluid seepage or corrosion.

On my Dad's SD the pins in the solenoid pack had corroded away from someone previously breaking that plug trying to remove it.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
Check the plug on the passenger side rear of the transmission for trans fluid seepage or corrosion.

On my Dad's SD the pins in the solenoid pack had corroded away from someone previously breaking that plug trying to remove it.

Dave
Will do. Thanks. So does that mean that it sounds like a solenoid pack issue?

Early 99 Powerstroke
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Leveling Kit w/ 35's

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Yes it sounds that way. Does the O/D light flash when it's acting up?

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

The little wires are broke I'm pretty sure and I haven't pulled it apart and fixed it so I have no OD light since it started

Early 99 Powerstroke
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Leveling Kit w/ 35's
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 AM
F250 Black Cloud Edition

Tranny is computer controlled. I just went threw a TC problem 2 weeks ago. If you know someone with a good scanner you can see what the computer is doing. The computer may be telling it to and its just not unlocking. Mine was the exact opposite. The computer was telling it to lock, and it wasnt locking until almost OD. I just went ahead and changed the solenoid pack, and the TC. My converter was warrantied and i got a new solenoid pack for 200. Even though it wasnt the solenoid pack that was the problem. It was the converter.

02 F250. Turbonetics, SRP1, Tim from P.I.S built Hybrids, Built Trans, Afe Stage 2, HPX line. Tuned by Jonathan from Beans, 4 inch exhaust, with the muffler. Triple Phantom 2 gauges. Forged Rods and with another block. 500hp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode