Lost 6th gear? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Lost 6th gear?

Posting for a friend who has a 99 F350. I have not had a chance to look at it, but he states that he no longer has 6th gear (fifth on the shifter knob, or overdrive gear). It will feel like it goes into gear with the lever but there is nothing there when you engage the clutch. He claims there are no uncommon noises and he has every any gear but the big one. He can get it to start grinding if he tries to force the shifter farther than normal towards the dash with the clutch to the floor, other than that, there is nothing.

I know the Dodge guys have a problem with a nut backing off and they loose fifth gear. Can it happen to the zf6 tranny too? We will get it figured out, I just want to look for a possible fix before I have to drop that tranny..... again. He has been through a few clutches and I'm tired of working on that truck. The last time was about a year ago and he paid a shop to install a Southbend Clutch. He has probably only put 3-6k on the fresh clutch so I guess it could be something they didn't get put back right.

Any ideas, comments?

For Sale: 2000 F350, black cc sb 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
DD Assisted

Re: Lost 6th gear?

Please post your results. I started a thread similar to this one and got 1 response suggesting the syncros. So good luck.

2002 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6spd.
1984 Ford Ranger Diesel - Top Secret
2007 Mazda 6
1952 GMC w/ Ford powertrain, 390, Top Loader 4spd.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Honda TRX450r - Some stuff
2003 Suzuki Eiger
8 John Deere's from 1953 to 1960
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give'r the Onions
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

To me it sounds like something came loose and isn't moving correctly. I hope it is an external problem and not internal.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Does the floorboard come out on an early 99 like they do on an older Ford? I know I would have to remove the seat and carpet but to me it would be worth a shot if there was access from inside the cab. I can't remember crap anymore, I've had that tranny out a few times and never thought about looking at the floorboard from the bottom side to see if its removable.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Crazy Redneck

Was it ever hard to go into gear in the last 3 to 6k after the clutch was put in?

Did he feel something pop and lost it all of the sudden?

Sounds like a broken or bent shift fork. I don't remember if that is one of the long or short shift forks.

When/if you pull the tranny, just stand it up on the bell housing, remove the BIG nut on the passenger side, (it is a detent for the shift rails, it is also locktited, so it is a bit of a pain) then unbolt all of the casing bolts, and seperate the rear of the case from the front. There is nothing holding the guts too the rear of the case, it will lift off fairly easy when you get the sealant to let go. Then you will be able to look and see if one of the forks is bent or broken.

The floorboard does not unbolt like the older trucks.

Good luck.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marc

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto

Little air, fuel and oil and a BTS.

533/1050 5-8-10

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thank you Marc.

You just told me what I didn't want to know. As far as I know there was no pop or bang or clank when it let go. Just no more big gear. Kurt did say something about taking the shifter out and looking around and the mechanic put something back together wrong. Must not have been a big deal though cause it has been working till now. I wouldn't know, he only calls me when it its really busted.

So is this something that can be easily repaired or should I start looking for a replacement tranny?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Crazy Redneck

When I get home tonight, I will look thru my stuff and figure out what one is the correct one, and send you a link to the stuff I have.

I have had mine apart and hence the reason for the auto swap I am doing.

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto

533/1050 5-8-10

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:10 AM
Crazy Redneck

Try this. It gives a semi detailed view of the interals.

#19 in the drawing is the 5-6 shift fork, so it is likely that it could have broke.

ZF6 Speed Manual Transmissions Part, Rebuild Overhaul Kits Ford Truck - Drivetrain.com

Good luck.

Marc

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto

533/1050 5-8-10

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCOOL View Post
Try this. It gives a semi detailed view of the interals.

#19 in the drawing is the 5-6 shift fork, so it is likely that it could have broke.

ZF6 Speed Manual Transmissions Part, Rebuild Overhaul Kits Ford Truck - Drivetrain.com

Good luck.

Marc

Excellent info, thanks again Marc. Looks like a good time

If I run into any problems, I'll hit you up.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Crazy Redneck

805-712-7252 cell, any time.

I have the tool kit for the ZF if you need to go farther.

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto

533/1050 5-8-10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode