transmission started slipping - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

transmission started slipping

I have a 2002 F250 7.3 powerstroke diesel automatic 4x4. I've had it for over a year. The previous owner was my father, therefore I know it was taken care of. It has 116k miles on it. I drove it on a vacation to Florida (appox 5 hour trip). On the way back I noticed my water temperature needle was somewhat higher than normal and pulled into a gas station. My anti-freeze was a little below the minimum and I added some. I noticed a skinny trail of fluid that started about 15 ft behind my truck and led to a tiny drain hole on the transmission, I assume (I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic). I checked the fluid and it was normal. This was in April. Last week, I was on the interstate for about 35 miles and noticed the water temperature climbing above normal. The transmission temp gage has always been normal. After I parked it, killed some time and came back to it, I noticed it slipped in reverse and remained parked. I checked the transmission fluid and after adding one quart it was normal. I was able to drive it home but now it is parked until I can figure this out. Also, I have a buzzing relay near the right of the gas pedal that has something to do with my brake lights and turn signals. I don't feel like that has anything to do with the transmission but felt I should give all the info possible. Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: transmission started slipping

After reading a lot of these posts, I think it maybe dropping into neutral. Is that different than "slipping"? Also, I found a round plastic clip by the transmission on the driver's side open with no wire near it. I can drive the truck if I choose because it will shift good sometimes but I choose not to drive it because I don't want to cause any further damage.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Compression. Ignition.

Sounds like more than one problem starting to show. Water temp idk...have you ever flushed the system? I'm thinking the factory temp gauges in our trucks arent much better than "idiot" lights. The have cold-normal-overheat readings. That's it, so its possibly the gauges/sending unit(s).
I'm guessing the tranny fluid was dripping from the hole in the flywheel dust cover. Gonna have to go with the converter hub seal, since its intermittent. Buy a Viton seal if you do end up fixing it.
Big differance between slipping and neutral. Need to put a 300psi hydraulic pressure gauge into the driver side pressure port. Get a hot idle pressure reading in all gear positions and post back results.
No idea on the plastic clip, got a picture? And relay is unrelated.
Just my $.02

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I just got back from town in it. It has been sitting for two weeks other than I'd start it to let it idle for a few minutes every three days or so. I had a friend over here but by no means a mechanic. We checked the fluid level again after taking it for a ride to town and back following the procedures in the manual. It was low on fluid, again. After two quarts of Mercon V everything straightened out and I am pretty stoked except for the fact that after another ride on this hot July day in Alabama, the fluid started leaking out of that hole and somewhere above and to the passenger side, slightly. I'm a carpenter, but I'm thinking there is a seal leaking. Since it is Sunday, all the shops are closed. Thanks for the feedback. I may need more as I sort this out. I wish I could afford to drop it off and have someone fix it but like I said, the truck was given to me by my father in his Will. There is no way I could afford to buy it. I'm just lucky and want to take great care of it!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No. I have never flushed the system. I've heard bad things about that. Lies? You tell me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 AM
Compression. Ignition.

Yeah I'm going to say trannsmission seal. Its a bear to change because you have to pull the tranny. And yes lies. Coolant flush and replacement is part of regular maintenance. Should be in the owners manual. :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode