New one on me - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

New one on me

last week I got home with heavy loaded trailer, pulled in my driveway and truck would not move forward or reverse. Leaking trans fluid every where.
Next day put a gallon of trans fluid and have been driving it for a almost a week and trans has not leaked a single drop. This is in my 2002 super duty with auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 07:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: New one on me

I believe Your trans has what's called and overflow valve, it dumps fluid when your trans get way to hot, above 230*. Any chance you have gauges/tuner? That could tell us what the temp was when this happend?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Too much pressure- causes it to dump out of the overflow/pressure release. It's a little slit on the front bottom of the case. You prolly dumped enough that your torque converter didn't register

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roenicke95stroker View Post
I believe Your trans has what's called and overflow valve,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roenicke95stroker View Post
Too much pressure- causes it to dump out of the overflow/pressure release.
No, that's wrong. There is no overflow, nor is there a pressure release.

The problem is that in low speed, high load reversing the torque converter gets REALLY hot. This causes the torque converter hub seal to get too hot and it softens. Then it leaks. Sometimes a lot. Once it cools it seals up again.

The seal can do several cycles of this before it fails. There is an aftermarket seal made from Viton that is MUCH better than the stock seal.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 08:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
No, that's wrong. There is no overflow, nor is there a pressure release.

The problem is that in low speed, high load reversing the torque converter gets REALLY hot. This causes the torque converter hub seal to get too hot and it softens. Then it leaks. Sometimes a lot. Once it cools it seals up again.

The seal can do several cycles of this before it fails. There is an aftermarket seal made from Viton that is MUCH better than the stock seal.
That's wierd I guess my transmission techs need to go back to school, I was told when I went hunting this winter and had to push through 2 feet of snow overheating my tranny them dumping oil out of a slit in the front bottom of the transmission that it was my transmission blowing the oil out due to over pressure. My bad sorry for the ignorant reply, thought my tranny guy knew what he was talking about. Won't be giving him anymore business
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Yes, they need to go back to school. They don't know what they are talking about.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode