Looking for a shifter upgrade - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to Birdman71
Looking for a shifter upgrade

I'm looking for a shifter for my 96 5spd 350,anybody know where and kinds are out there?any pics of your install?Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Looking for a shifter upgrade

Are you just looking for a new handle or for a short shifter kit?

1997 F350 Crew Cab, 7.3, 4x4, 5SP Short Shift kit, 5" RSK SD V Code springs, DIY Intake, 5" Exhaust with 30" FTE Resinator, intercooled, TS chip.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

Leave it alone. ZF did just fine designing the shifter on that trans. I assure you they did a better job than BD. I know that first hand.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Veteran Member

Garage

Listen to Charles. He knows what he is talking about here. Also I think he knows what he is talking about on everything he posts on here. Just my .02.

Centxdiesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250 XL SC, 512HP 1019TQ,
30% nozzle Hybrids from [email protected]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adrenaline, Beans D-66,Beans E-Fuel,Valair Ceramic-Kevlar clutch.

Awesome Tuning by: Matt: from:

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to Birdman71

I was thinking about a short throw,just wanted to see whats out there.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman71 View Post
I was thinking about a short throw,just wanted to see whats out there.
Ask em if you can try before you buy.

BD makes one. And if anyone says they like it, I honestly wonder about them.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:38 PM
PSN Veteran

Dan from Midwesttrans makes one for our tranny. It shortins it a little bit.

1997 F350 Crew Cab, 7.3, 4x4, 5SP Short Shift kit, 5" RSK SD V Code springs, DIY Intake, 5" Exhaust with 30" FTE Resinator, intercooled, TS chip.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 AM
PSN Veteran

I made one and it was a fun project and worthwhile IMO.....used SD shifter part, hand made spacer and longer bolts....shortened the shift throw about an inch....

Have some pix in truck folder and template for spacer and a write up of sorts...

Charles can you elaborate on what the problem/concern you had/have.... IIRC BD's plate seemed expensive for what it is......and if one had expectations relative to the cost you might be bummin....

Mine was built from shop scraps.....a used shifter and detent spring....hahahaa....totally shade tree.....hahahaaaa

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
I made one and it was a fun project and worthwhile IMO.....used SD shifter part, hand made spacer and longer bolts....shortened the shift throw about an inch....

Have some pix in truck folder and template for spacer and a write up of sorts...

Charles can you elaborate on what the problem/concern you had/have.... IIRC BD's plate seemed expensive for what it is......and if one had expectations relative to the cost you might be bummin....

Mine was built from shop scraps.....a used shifter and detent spring....hahahaa....totally shade tree.....hahahaaaa

jrc

I don't care if it cost 3 dollars or 300 dollars it was an ignorant modification to an otherwise fine shift mechanism. Being that the increased travel was gained by merely spacing the existing shifter upward an inch or so, the entire shifter is also moved upward in the cab of the truck the same amount.

Ergonomics..... FAIL!

Secondly, while a bit of extra travel would have been welcomed compared to the somewhat comfort-biased OEM ratio, the extent to which they altered it was comical. So much so that it was actually LESS precise, and HARDER to actually shift.

Functionality.... FAIL!

Lastly, while the spacer plate itself was a nice machined piece, the attachment hardware included was junk. The OE hardware is metric grade 12.9 (or appears to be) socket head cap screws. The kit I received came with grade 2 or 5 hex bolts. I wouldn't sweat the grade much, being that it's getting run down into an aluminum trans, the lower grade stuff just wouldn't "feel" as good, but not a real issue. However, not using recessed allen head cap screws like ZF did means that the head nearly contacts the tower. And a socket will not go on them. Plus, and this should count for a lot, it makes it look like a F'ing idiot has gotten ahold of your truck whenever anyone with some sense sees that sh*t on your shift tower.

I never even installed it like that. I went to Ace and bought metric recessed allen cap screws just like the OE pieces, except long enough to accept the spacer. And looked like I had some sense once it was installed....

I IMMEDIATELY hated it. I did however, consider that having driven the ZF-6 for a number of years, in a number of trucks it might just be unfamiliarity that I was resisting. So I decided to drive it a week without question before I would decide how I felt. It was a long F'ing week....

I ripped it out at about 5:30 that very Friday, and was never so happy as when I put the stock shift tower back in. If the trans had come with the BD unit, the stock unit would have been considered a NICE upgrade. No debate.

To sum up.

It makes the truck shift like dogsh*t, the shifts are too awkward (they went too damn far with it, yielding too little mechanical advantage for moving the shifter through it's range).

And your freakin shifter sticks way up in the cab ABOVE the radio station knobs, further solidifying your place as a fuking idiot to anyone that sees the shifter when riding with you. I felt like one of those retards with the motorcycle handlebars up high above their head going down the road holding the shifter, lol.

So far beyond ergonomic that it's comical like that.

They shouldn't have altered the shift geometery THAT far. They should have taken the time to alter it a GOOD amount, not just as much as possible. Secondly, they should have taken the time to have SHORTENED the top half of the shift assembly post that your shifter bolts to. If they had, they could have negated the increased shifter height, and left the shifter at an OE height. And you wouldn't look like a douche driving around with your shifter up near your ear, lol.

I sold the thing. Told the guy everything I just typed, and he still wanted it, which is his personal preference. I sold it with the appropriate hardware I sourced myself.

Maybe he likes it. I think it's a complete joke. And I think my stance is factual, much more so than preferential.

But that's just me.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 12:46 AM
PSN Veteran

Charles.....sounds like an all round bad experience....sorry to hear that....I reread my post and my comments about cost and expectations, shade tree and so on was not intended to offend you.......

when I researched the BD short shifter at the time I could not justify the cost here in Canada and looked to see if I could build one myself.....and to be clear this mod is for the ZF-5.....

I went to a buddy of mine whom rebuilds ZF-5 and ZF-6s and we got to comparing parts and low and behold we discovered that the 6 in tranny part would fit the 5 tower......

I used the Stock ZF-6 shifter in transmission lever and it changes the pivot point (compared to stock ZF-5), by lengthening the distance below the pivot point (hope that makes sense). Moreover the distance above the pivot point accounts for the length below in that the overall shifter stays about stock height so as not to disrupt shift ergonomics. The spacer I made went between the top of tranny and the tower so all I had to do was source longer bolts never changed the Allens out.....the actual stick shifter (that bolts onto the in tranny shifter) stayed the same height and as I recall moved it closer to the user....and shortened the throw by and inch or so....I also replaced the little nylon blocks on the pivot point and spaced the detent spring with the result of snugging things up just a tad.....over the "feel" of my stock shifter....

The only short coming of this mod is that the reverse lock out was not used .......for me no big deal......was reluctant to tell people about this mod because of it.....after some time (a year or so) I created a write up and pix in my sig in truck folder......I built it with a hacksaw, hand drill and dremel....and used the stock parts (save for bolts) thus the reference to shade tree....

Thanks for your insight and thoughts.....

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode