Built tranny going bad - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Angry Built tranny going bad

Well my tranny is clearly slipping at high speeds. Tonight I was going about 70mph in OD accelerating fairly hard and the RPM's clearly rev'd and the tranny felt disconnected from the engine. I let out of the throttle and it was fine.

If you drive normal the tranny is perfect, and even from a stop under hard acceleration it's solid. When driving at high speed under hard acceleration it's slipping. In Drag_3B it shutters off the line, and you can feel it, but no other tunes do this.

Is this a torque converter issue, or something else?

The tranny has never been overheated, it usually runs around 130-170 depending on the outside temperature. Shifts are firm and strong, torque converter lock-up is strong..... only slips at high speed in my hot tunes under hard acceleration.

Tranny has 30k miles on it since rebuild by a very good trans builder here called Mass Diesel Performance. I need to call them in the morning to pick Scott's brain, but I want to hear what you guys think.

Please help me, I don't know what components are slipping.

Early 99 F-350
4" lift on 33's. Daily Driver/ Plow truck.
Swamp's Gen3, 300/200's, Tuning, 76mm Sledgehammer. BTS. Fuel system, ARP's, P-Rods, 910's, and a few other things. Stock Block.
SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New truck:
2009 F-350, 5.4L, 4" lift on 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Sponsor

Re: Built tranny going bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDfan99 View Post
Well my tranny is clearly slipping at high speeds. Tonight I was going about 70mph in OD accelerating fairly hard and the RPM's clearly rev'd and the tranny felt disconnected from the engine. I let out of the throttle and it was fine.

If you drive normal the tranny is perfect, and even from a stop under hard acceleration it's solid. When driving at high speed under hard acceleration it's slipping. In Drag_3B it shutters off the line, and you can feel it, but no other tunes do this.

Is this a torque converter issue, or something else?

The tranny has never been overheated, it usually runs around 130-170 depending on the outside temperature. Shifts are firm and strong, torque converter lock-up is strong..... only slips at high speed in my hot tunes under hard acceleration.

Tranny has 30k miles on it since rebuild by a very good trans builder here called Mass Diesel Performance. I need to call them in the morning to pick Scott's brain, but I want to hear what you guys think.

Please help me, I don't know what components are slipping.

Prolly the converter slipping

2005 F-350
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
Prolly the converter slipping
Thanks Tony. I suspect the converter, but I'm not sure because transmission issues are something I've never really had to diagnose or repair. This tranny has been awesome for the past 30k, until I added all this new power (injectors and turbo).

I'm going to call Mass Diesel at 8:30am and see what Scott thinks and maybe take a test drive.

Early 99 F-350
Swamp's Gen3, 300/200's, Tuning, 76mm Sledgehammer. BTS. Fuel system, ARP's, P-Rods, 910's, and a few other things. Stock Block.
SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New truck:

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:23 AM
PSN Local

its probably the converter... IMHO the ATS extreme converter would be the upgrade I would do..

post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I took the truck about 60 miles into Boston and back tonight to get the GF at the air port and the truck shifts, drives, and runs beautiful if you're not in a hot setting on the chip and trying to do a speed run. Normal driving it's perfect, at WOT or very hard acceleration in OD, when the boost builds you can feel the slip.... let out and its fine.

As for converter upgrades... I want the best for my application, or darn close to the best. Currently I'm running a single disc DTT converter.

Early 99 F-350
SOLD

New truck:
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:11 PM
PSN Local

I would do line pressure tests in the different settings first.
The single disk really does not have alot of surface area and holding power.

Bill

97 Quigley 4X4 PSD
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:13 PM
<< Hood stack

Jake, i didn't know that it was a single disc converter, im not surprised that it is coming part

post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Irate Sales Guy

You need to get a PI tripple disc in there before you take out you trans!

97 F-250 CC 350/200's, Intercooler, Billet S468, T-4 mount, BTS trans, Irate Electric Fuel, BTS Dual Pumps, Water Meth, NOS, ARP studs, Comp 910 springs, Gearhead tuning.

503-435-9599 Call or Text!
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ok, so the overall consensus is that the TCC is the problem? Just want to be sure of that before spend any money on a PI.

Early 99 F-350
SOLD

New truck:
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ok, I just went for a drive with the scan tool and watched the TCC lock up % to see if it was doing the slipping or if it was something else. The TCC lock never slipped. It stayed at 100% from the point of lock up even through the "slipping". I talked to my tranny guy and he said the best way to check a slipping TCC is to watch the % of lock up when the slipping occurs... so I did and it held 100% the entire time.

What do I do next?

Early 99 F-350
SOLD

New truck:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode