ZF6 OIL QUESTION - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ZF6 OIL QUESTION

I KNOW ITS BEEN TALKED ABOUT BEFORE TIME AND TIME AGAIN. BUT WOULD THERE BE A PROBLEM WITH RUNNING LUCAS OIL STABILIZER IN THESE TRANSMISSIONS?? IM JUST LOOKING TO QUIET IT DOWN A BIT.. I HAVE IT HOOKED TO A 12V CUMMINS AND GOOD LORD THIS THING IS LOUD. IVE ALREADY DYNOMATTED THE ENTIRE CAB AND ITS STILL LOUD..

I WAS AT PARTS HOUSE THE OTHER DAY STANDING IN LINE WAITING TO CHECK OUT AND THEY HAD THE OIL STABILIZER FOR ENGINE OIL SITTING ON A SHELF AND I STARTED READING AND IT STATES ITS SAFE FOR ALL ATF FLUID ALSO NOT JUST ENGINE OIL.. THINK THE THINKNESS OF THE OIL WOULD HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON THE SYNCHROS?? I WANT TO QUIET IT DOWN BUT DONT HAVE THE $20 A QUART TO USE THE NEW FORD MANUAL TRANS FLUID FROM THE STEALERSHIP..

ALSO IS THE COOLER TOTALLY NECCESARY ON THESE TRANSMISSIONS?? IS THE TRANS REALLY EVER GOING TO GET HOTTER THAN WHAT THE ENGINE TEMPERATURE GETS?? ITS "COOLED" BY OIL FLOWING THROUGH THE RADIATOR.. COULD I JUST RECIRC IT BACK INTO THE CASE AND DELETE THE COOLER LINES?? THE GM VERSION DOESNT HAVE A COOLER ON IT..

THANKS
RICHARD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: ZF6 OIL QUESTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjustman View Post
ALSO IS THE COOLER TOTALLY NECCESARY ON THESE TRANSMISSIONS?? IS THE TRANS REALLY EVER GOING TO GET HOTTER THAN WHAT THE ENGINE TEMPERATURE GETS?? ITS "COOLED" BY OIL FLOWING THROUGH THE RADIATOR.. COULD I JUST RECIRC IT BACK INTO THE CASE AND DELETE THE COOLER LINES?? THE GM VERSION DOESNT HAVE A COOLER ON IT..
First, your caps lock key seems to be stuck. Please get it fixed, it's annoying reading something in all caps.

I don't know enough about the manual trans to know if the Lucas will help it or kill it. One or the other will happen.

The trans fluid IS cooled by flowing through the radiator. You don't need the quotes. I used to test transmission cooling for Ford and I know that the radiator cooler cools the transmission, it doesn't heat it to engine temperature.

The trans cooler is in the side of the radiator where the coolant has already been cooled. That is quite a bit cooler than engine temperature. If it was engine temperature, why have a radiator? The purpose of the radiator is to cool.

You can remove the cooler. You must know more than those of us that tested this and determined that the only way to make it last a long life was to keep it from getting too hot. Ford only added that cooler because it was fun, and we always tried to add things to the truck that wasn't needed so that we wouldn't make profits and Ford would go out of business. [/sarcasm]

At every auto manufacturer every penny is watched. Managers will kill to save a nickel. Do you think this cooler that cost several dollars would make it into production if it were not needed? Maybe GM doesn't care as much about how long the transmission lasts. Maybe their engines don't make enough torque to get the transmission hot.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

If the cooler is only meant to cool why not have a fin type cooler that sits in front of the radiator only?? Its got to help maintain a temp not ONLY cool..or us guys that live in colder weather the oil would never heat up..manual transmissions don't create heat like an auto does..

GMs power output has been the same if not HIGHER than ford power outputs since the duramax has been in a gm frame so I know that's not the reasoning..

I'm not trying to stir chit I'm looking for a definitive answer..I've read both opinions..and I'm not doubting your expertise.I just know that I either need to quiet this beast down or get rid of it..its a good shifting trans but its to freaking loud...

Also my caps were on.that's how I write my reports at work so it looked normal to me at the time of typing..my apologies..thanks for your response its appreciated, at the end of the day I'll make my decision based of of your guys responses..this is my first rodeo in the ford world..

Thanks

Richard

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Administrator

this oil cooler discussion came up the other day
I was with the same opinion as Mark
Ford didn't do this as an advertising ploy " manual transmission now with cooler "
because no one would care

however it was mentioned ( just like the op noted ) this same tranny is used in other applications with no cooler

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Luddite in Charge

The mindset that 'cooler must be better' is no doubt valid, but a few years ago I deleted one rather than fix the leak in the line and after I don't know how many miles it's still shifting/pulling/running fine.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I'm all for trying to keep things cool..has anyone ever put a gauge on one with the cooler and without..
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 11:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
I'm all for trying to keep things cool..has anyone ever put a gauge on one with the cooler and without..
I bet Mark has done that and more Mark knows more than we think - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Rusty

1997 F250 CC/SB 7.3 PSD 4X4 XLT, 248,000 miles
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If the cooler is only meant to cool why not have a fin type cooler that sits in front of the radiator only??
IMHO
because Air to oil depends on airflow and sometimes you have little to none
( but with no airflow you wouldn't expect a manual tranny to be working very hard )

the 5r that Mark worked on has both types of coolers in the same truck

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yes 5 r have both in a series..I'm not doubting mark at all I'm sure he's a brilliant individual..but manual trannys are not the same animals as manuals..I think we'd all agree there..

Zmann.yeah obviously if you gave no air flow across the cooler up front it wouldn't cool..but at that point is idling in a parking lot putting strain on the truck haha

My truck still gas both coolers as it was an auto before I took the 6.0 out..my lines aren't leaking or anything but my radiator is cracked and when I change it i was thinking about taking coolers off..and maybe change out oils to the Amsoil synthetic or the ford stuff for 08+ zf6.. synthetics will help oil not break down under high temp IF in fact it gets hot while driving..

Let's keep this going..there seems to be a lot of what its with this trans..this is a good topic of conversation
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Let's keep this going..there seems to be a lot of what its with this trans..this is a good topic of conversation
Agreed !

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode