Trans Temps - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Canadian Powerstroker!

Trans Temps

Ok so I have never had a problem with trans temps but now I am towing with my truck and watching it all the time while driving. I have a 35' Bumper pull RV that weighs 10k and it was 28C or 82F for yall americans, and my temps were around 180F for most of the drive. I got a brand new tranny and Amsoil Synthetic in it. Stock cooler, and stock pan. Is this normal? And it also seems like I can hear my TC growling on takeoff is this normal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03 7.3L F-350 Lariat FX4 CC LB

Mods: TN BB Turbo, NADP Heavy Hauler Tranny, DP F-5, Quad Pod w/ Autometer Phantom II's, AFE II PG7, AFE 409 SS 4" Exhaust, CCV, HPX, Non-EBPV & HFO, 95 Gal Aux tank/tool box, ITP OBA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Trans Temps

Yes it is.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 PM
daddystoy

You sure it is the TC and not your engine fan you hear growling? When my truck is warm the fan will engage and it is LOUD and growls. Stays on until about 40mph or the temps come down then disengages. As for temp, I hear 80-100 over ambiant is normal.

2015 F350 Platinum 4x4 CC
2014 Ford Edge Sport

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Canadian Powerstroker!

but isn't 195 where you start cooking clutches in the tranny? seems awfully close to me.. Should I invest in a v10 cooler? will this help lots?

Mods: TN BB Turbo, NADP Heavy Hauler Tranny, DP F-5, Quad Pod w/ Autometer Phantom II's, AFE II PG7, AFE 409 SS 4" Exhaust, CCV, HPX, Non-EBPV & HFO, 95 Gal Aux tank/tool box, ITP OBA.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 05:56 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfield_Digger View Post
but isn't 195 where you start cooking clutches in the tranny? seems awfully close to me.. Should I invest in a v10 cooler? will this help lots?
More like 220 degrees

2006 Dodge 2500 MegaCab, 4x4, Auto, 5.9L CTD

SOLD-2001 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 auto, 207,000 miles, linex, DP tuner 40T, 80E, 120R. 3.5 inch DP/4 inch exhaust. ATS housing. AFE stage 1, Hutch and Harpooned, HV IDM. V-10 transmission cooler. Medium build transmission. Baby terminator single HPOP, Turbomaster wastegate, 1.0 exhaust housing.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Raul@stealth-automotive

180 is nothing.... 210+ is where i would start worrying... if you can get a hand on a 6.0L trans cooler i would put that in place of the stocker.... here is a comparison of my stock trans cooler and the larger 6.0L i put in its place... i saw a 40 degree drop in my temps with it

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Canadian Powerstroker!

what will drop the temps more the 6.0L cooler or a MagHytec deep pan? Does the 6.0 cooler just mount right up or do you have to make some changes?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Raul@stealth-automotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfield_Digger View Post
what will drop the temps more the 6.0L cooler or a MagHytec deep pan? Does the 6.0 cooler just mount right up or do you have to make some changes?
it mounts directly in place of the stock unit.. but the inlets are a lil larger so you need to hit up a lowes or home depot and get the reduction fittings which is prob around 10 bucks tops.....

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Canadian Powerstroker!

how much temp drops we looking at with the 6.0 cooler?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:02 AM
PSN Veteran

[[email protected];549648]180 is nothing.... 210+ is ... here is a comparison of my stock trans cooler and the larger 6.0L i put in its place... i saw a 40 degree drop in my temps with i

40 degrees is what this fellow said and after looking at the 2 of them I believe it. But 180 is nothing Mine runs that in stoplight traffic but with my trailer out on the road it's still around 180. I don't think you have anything to worry about

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode