Not Able to Shift ZF-6 Transmission - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Not Able to Shift ZF-6 Transmission

today on the way home from work in my 2000 F-350 Manual ZF-6 all of a sudden I was unable to get the lower set of gears L,2,4 it's like there is something hard in there that is keeping me from shifting it.... finally after a lot of messing around and coasting I was able to get them... but still really hard to get those? anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Jonathon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Aint going anywhere fast

Re: Not Able to Shift ZF-6 Transmission

synchronizers messing up I believe

1985 Ford F250 XLT
6.9 IDI
C6
Just bought it!

2003 Harley Davidson EG
True duals, Tuner I love it!!!

2012 Nissan 370Z
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Chevy LMM Dmax----sold
2007 Ford F-150----Sold
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Lovin Life...

Does it go into the odd gears freely?

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 AM
PSN Local

I had the same problem and fixed it with a new pre-bled hydraulic assembly. Well, pretty much upgraded everything at that time but am convinced it was hydraulics.

Derek

Early 99 6spd: Valair Kevlar/ceramic clutch, DI intercooler, 6637 filter, DIY exhaust brake, Isspro gauges, DP tuner NS, S, 40T, 60T, 80E 120R, 5" exhaust, 2.5 in leveling kit with 285/75/16.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

this afternoon I drove it around and so far so good I took off the boot and the cover of the tranny and nothing to see in there:P... so what do you mean by pre-bled hydraulic assembly dpwilson?

synchronizers?... that's a tranny rebuild isn't it?

yes it goes into the odd gears easier...but it seems sloppy....

thanks for the replies guys
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
PSN Local

I'm not a mechanic so take it for what it's worth...I did some research and found that guys were having similar problems to what I was having and the prebled master and slave hydraulics fixed it for them and myself. I wouldn't just go out and replace them, but deffinately give them a look. I can get part #'s for you if this is the case. I think it was $120-$140 for a whole new assembly.

Derek

Early 99 6spd: Valair Kevlar/ceramic clutch, DI intercooler, 6637 filter, DIY exhaust brake, Isspro gauges, DP tuner NS, S, 40T, 60T, 80E 120R, 5" exhaust, 2.5 in leveling kit with 285/75/16.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwilson View Post
I'm not a mechanic so take it for what it's worth...I did some research and found that guys were having similar problems to what I was having and the prebled master and slave hydraulics fixed it for them and myself. I wouldn't just go out and replace them, but deffinately give them a look. I can get part #'s for you if this is the case. I think it was $120-$140 for a whole new assembly.
I had to replace the master/slave assembly about every 6 months to a year for my trans to shift acceptably.

They are plastic. Master and slave are both plastic. I have no idea why it won't last...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 PM
PSN Local

Yeah, I wasn't real impressed when the brown box came and I pulled out the cracker jack looking piece. I only use my truck for towing my toys so I thought I would go with the manual trans...next time will be an auto.

Derek

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwilson View Post
Yeah, I wasn't real impressed when the brown box came and I pulled out the cracker jack looking piece. I only use my truck for towing my toys so I thought I would go with the manual trans...next time will be an auto.
The guys at the parts counter will always tell you they don't have problems out of them too. One time after getting that response after driving to 4 different Ford dealers in search of that assembly (a normally stocked item) before finding the dealer that had one in stock, I had to say, yeah, you never have any trouble out of them, you just can't keep them on the shelves....

I got to where I could swap em out in about 11 minutes from start to finish. I'd throw the box away in the trashcan at the dealer and drive off, with a good shifting trans..... for a few more months.

That got old.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

is there a fix for this so that we don't have to keep changing them out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode