5R110 needed tools - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

5R110 needed tools

Getting ready to rebuild my 5R110. What tools are essential to rebuild? I have most hand tools. Someone had said they used a drill press. I am assuming it was used to compress the springs. Thanks for any replies. I may attempt to do a video of my rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 5R110 needed tools

No, you dont need a drill press. I just did mine about a couple months ago.

You absolutely need a GOOD clutch spring compressor, the output shaft nut socket, and long, thin, flat blade screwdrivers. Snap ring pliers also help on the reverse clutch, direct clutch, forward clutch, and coast clutch assemblies. The toughest snap ring is the low/reverse clutch. Its at the back of the trans. I also used a slide hammer with an adapter from snap on to remove the pump. Made very quick work of it.

Other than that, only a few sockets needed (8 mm, 10mm, 13mm, that may be it but cant recall for sure). You'll have to rig up some way to load the forward geartrain. I used a coat hanger modified. Worked great.

IF you go into the pump (which you should), you will need some way to align the pump halves. I used several hose clamps together to form a band. Also used old pump bolts as alignment dowels. Make sure the main pressure valve moves freely in the pump, mine was sticky.

Replace as many solenoids as you can afford. Clean EVERYTHING, including the solenoid body very well. Set your clutch pack clearances within spec, with special attention to the forward clutch and direct clutch assemblies. I set mine on the tighter end, it worked well with the kit i bought. BE CAREFUL WITH THE TEFLON SEALING RINGS! They have to overlap a specific way or they will not fit. Buy a tub of vaseline, i used them on the thrust washers/bearings it works great. Soak all clutch packs prior to installation?

What kit did you buy?

I strongly recommend buying the ATSG manual.

Shoot me a PM.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Nice info!!!

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 01:53 AM
PSN Veteran

If you need more details about how-to's or where i purchased tools, etc. PM me. Or if you get in a jam and cant figure something out shoot me a message. If you were closer i'd give you a hand or build it for you. It comes apart FAST, just make sure you keep everything in order how it came out so it goes back in in the reverse order. The pump took me the most time. I changed a few springs and freed up some sticky valves.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the replies. I haven't purchased kit yet. Spoke with transtar and decided we would wait and see what we needed before ordering. Does anyone have any tools they could loan for my rebuild. I hate to purchase for just this rebuild. Matt, do you have a pic of the coathanger rig? I already have ATSG manual(great stuff). Already have valve body off ready to flip and get into the guts. Any advice on how to mount the trans vertical. I have a motor stand, looks liked they would sale a fixture that would fit right in it. Thanks for the help. My first tranny rebuild!!!! Can you guys recommend a good rebuild kit? Mark recommended transtar. I am not a racer, show off, I use it for pulling odds and ends.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:48 PM
PSN Veteran

red alto kit with power pack direct drive and forward clutch packs. Hands down best kit IMO. PM wise guy about a torque converter. I got mine through him. What is transtar? I've never dealt with them. Add the option for molded pistons. Also get the 30$ trans go kit with hardened low/reverse snap ring and pressure springs in pump. Get the solenoids through Ford. 5R110W Performance Transmission 5R110W Billet Parts and Torque Converter

As far as the coat hanger, no i dont have any pics. What i did was, cut a coat hanger to about 18 inches in length. You need to bend the ends into a hook shape. They will hook onto the forward carrier (forward clutch, direct and gear train). You need to carefully lower the geartrain in as an assembly. Be sure to use some vaseline on the thrust washer on the bottom.

PM me about the tools. I have a spring compressor, i could probably do the slide hammer and adapter also, as well as the socket.

As far as holding in a vertical position, i tie strapped it to a beam going up a wall in my basement. It worked fine. You WILL need a couple guys to hold the trans while you torque the output shaft nut (148 ft lbs), especially if you dont have a way to lock it down. I removed all the parts basically with the trans laying down. Just be careful of the gear selector mechanism. I did not remove that. Only time i had it in vertical position was to load all the parts.

What year is your truck?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have an 03 w/6.0. My tranny was in reverse and still going forward. I have mine torn down to the point of standing on end and pulling the guts out. transtar seems to be the generic rebuild for the tranny. I really don't need an over built tranny and was going to just put generic back. Maybe a moderate modification would be nice.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:55 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
What is transtar?
Transtar is a transmission parts supply house where I've purchased many parts.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtc0360 View Post
I have an 03 w/6.0. My tranny was in reverse and still going forward. I have mine torn down to the point of standing on end and pulling the guts out. transtar seems to be the generic rebuild for the tranny. I really don't need an over built tranny and was going to just put generic back. Maybe a moderate modification would be nice.
It sounds like you may have had some hard part failure also. Or, the forward clutches welded themselves together. If that was the case make sure you buy a new forward clutch drum. Make sure you check the reverse planetary pins for backing out and grinding on the ring gear. Keep track of all the solenoids, 1 is unique, 2 are inversely proportional, and the rest are directly proportional. Make sure you fully disassemble ALL the hard parts to check for damage. Many pieces are held together by snap rings. If you have any questions give me a call or PM on here. I'll PM you my phone number.

If you dont have one, you'll need a QUALITY 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive torque wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Transtar is a transmission parts supply house where I've purchased many parts.
Thanks Mark. I wasnt sure.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thumbs up Re: 5R110 needed tools

Mark/Matt,
If I wanted to build my tranny with a moderate upgrade what do you guys recommend. I believe the transtar kit is just back stock. I wouldn't mind putting some better parts in my tranny but do not want to have to mod any parts. Better clutches maybe, shift kit maybe. Let me know what you guys think would be a good kit to purchase for something like I am suggesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode