6.0 tranny issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

6.0 tranny issue

All,
I have an 03 f250 with 6.0. I have added studs and changed head gaskets. I pulled motor out of truck. Did head gaskets. Put back together. Now the engine idles rough. Tranny has also been shifting funny hesitating to shift, before motor rebuild shifting was fine and ran good. Yesterday(after running around town) the truck will not go in reverse. If I put it in neutral the tranny is in gear. When I put motor back together I had an issue of the shaft between the torque converter and the tranny being jammed. Had to pull motor back out and pry the torque converter and shaft back out. Then slide shaft in and then the torque converter and all seemed good. Sometimes the dash shakes so bad that I think it is going to come off. Any help would be appreciated as always. Thanks for looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: 6.0 tranny issue

I think you need to take the trans out and rebuild it. I suspect that when you jammed it together the torque converter was damaged and the pump was destroyed. Sorry.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks Mark,
I was hoping you would chime in. When I bolted the motor to tranny the first time, I placed the shaft into the torque converter and then into the tranny. I then proceeded to bolt the flex plate to the torque converter. Afterwards I could not rotate the engine so I figured something was wrong. When I pulled the motor back out I could not pull the torque converter out easily and had to pry to get it loose. That is when I placed the shaft into tranny and then put the torque converter and the bolted to flex plate and everything turned and so on. In rebuilding the tranny, do you feel that this needs to be done by a tranny shop or could I possibly have success in it(I pulled motor out and replaced head gaskets on my own)? If not could you recommend a rebuild shop? If you think I could rebuild, what kit would be recommend? Where can I get a step by step for rebuild? Thanks for your reply. I think I have an injector issue as well.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The step by step is available in a manual from https://www.atsg.us/atsg/. You should have no problem doing it.

When installing the converter turn the trans so that the bellhousing is facing up. Install the shaft into the trans, then the converter onto the shaft. Rotate the converter around and around until it drops all the way in. The face of the converter must be below the front face of the bellhousing.

I've bought kits from http://www.transtar1.com/ with good results.

If you want someone to do it for you I know a good transmission shop in Ocala, FL.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks a lot for the info. Started pulling drive shafts off today. I plan on pulling the transfer case off then pulling the tranny. Am i doing a bad thing by pulling transfer? I don't have a lift and am doing this on the ground. I have a motorcycle jack to lower both the transfer and tranny. What is the name of the shop in Ocala?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 01:33 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

A1 Transmission. Paul and Steve Camargo are the owners. Tell them I sent you.
They are a mile or so south of downtown just off 441.

Mark

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have started the process of pulling the trans out. Took the transfer off first then the trans. Attached is a PDF of some pics. Let me know what you guys think. I haven't seen any thing that stands out that indicates any problems. I have trans going to a rebuild shop today. I have been debating if I shoud rebuild myself or not. I don't have the time to learn so I may get the shop to rebuild.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5r110 rebuild.pdf (591.1 KB, 4 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode