5R110 issues after fluid change ? Fluid change tricks ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
me2
PSN Veteran

5R110 issues after fluid change ? Fluid change tricks ?

I have a job 1 2008 with a 5R110 with 160K on it. It pulls a big 5er about 1,000 miles a year and other than that does a ton of cruising at 65 MPH.

Its way overdue for a transmission fluid change. I'm afraid that changing the fluid is going to screw up the operation (shifting) of the transmission. Am I being paranoid ?

Are there any tricks other than dropping the pan and replacing the fluid ?

Thanks

New truck.
08 F350 King Ranch
Long box CC 4x4
6.4 5R110
Soon to get a Cummins 6.7 transplant.

Old truck.
Red '99 2WD F250 CC SWB
3rd gen 325/610 Cummins, ZF6
Custom air ride suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:44 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: 5R110 issues after fluid change ? Fluid change tricks ?

Yes, you're being paranoid. New fluid can only help a good transmission. It can't fix a broken one, so if the trans is dying new fluid isn't going to save it.

On a Job 1 truck you have a filter in the trans cooler line. It's important to change that filter. The internal filter is good for the life of the trans,

Only use MERCON SP or MERCON LV fluids.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
me2
PSN Veteran

Thanks, Mark.

New truck.
08 F350 King Ranch
Long box CC 4x4
6.4 5R110

Old truck.
Red '99 2WD F250 CC SWB

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
me2
PSN Veteran

The shop manual (page 307-01-190) seems to recommend a simple drain via the trans drain plug with a refill via the dipstick tube.

I was thinking of dropping the pan to inspect for debris and replacing the transmission pan filter as well. Should I do this ?

If one does a simple drain, its going to leave trans fluid in the cooler circuit and and in the TC. Is there a simple way to drain the oil from these ?

Refilling via the dipstick sounds painful. Any other ideas on refilling ?

Thanks

New truck.
08 F350 King Ranch
Long box CC 4x4
6.4 5R110

Old truck.
Red '99 2WD F250 CC SWB
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 04:31 PM
PSN Local

No, the only way to drain them is removal. Or you could flush the system. Some people get the bigger pan and put the job 3 filter in. I guess they are supposed to be better.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 04:33 PM
PSN Local

Oh and refilling isnt bad through dipstick tube. It's the only way to do it. Just need a funnel small enough to fit in the tube.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
me2
PSN Veteran

Has anyone flushed the in radiator cooler and external cooler with air ?

On my Job 1 2008, the lines going to and from the filter go to these coolers. Would there be a problem if I put a LITTLE air pressure on one of the lines to blow out the fluid in them ?

New truck.
08 F350 King Ranch
Long box CC 4x4
6.4 5R110

Old truck.
Red '99 2WD F250 CC SWB
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 AM
Administrator

it's been done with good results but they didn't go nuts with the psi

the procedure netted a few more quarts discharged

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Luddite in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
On a Job 1 truck you have a filter in the trans cooler line. It's important to change that filter. The internal filter is good for the life of the trans
I can hardly disagree with a person bearing your credentials, but I was under the impression that the internal filter was smaller on job 1 vis-a-vis the updated 2 and 3's. Couple this with the fact that the cooler circuit only opens and runs at a certain elevated temp. In theory then wouldn't the inline filter see less use than the in-pan and therefore bear less load, making the smaller pan filter get more of the crud?

Again, in no way am I disagreeing with you - in fact I hope you confirm that I'm wrong and I only have to crack two lines instead of dropping a pan and taking a bath... I'm at 27k so it's about time for that / those filters. Hopefully now it's singular tense tho

What's the difference between the SP and LV fluids?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 01:03 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I was thinking of dropping the pan to inspect for debris and replacing the transmission pan filter as well. Should I do this ?
I don't recommend it. There is no reason to replace the internal filter.

Quote:
If one does a simple drain, its going to leave trans fluid in the cooler circuit and and in the TC. Is there a simple way to drain the oil from these ?
No, there is not.

Quote:
Refilling via the dipstick sounds painful. Any other ideas on refilling ?
The only other way I can think of is to turn the truck over and fill it through the drain plug in the pan.

The dipstick is the only way to fill an automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Andy View Post
I can hardly disagree with a person bearing your credentials, but I was under the impression that the internal filter was smaller on job 1 vis-a-vis the updated 2 and 3's. Couple this with the fact that the cooler circuit only opens and runs at a certain elevated temp. In theory then wouldn't the inline filter see less use than the in-pan and therefore bear less load, making the smaller pan filter get more of the crud?
You were correct until you said the internal would get more of the crud. The earlier internal filter is too coarse to get anything but the largest chunks. Most of what needs to get filtered out passes right through the internal filter.

Quote:
Again, in no way am I disagreeing with you - in fact I hope you confirm that I'm wrong and I only have to crack two lines instead of dropping a pan and taking a bath... I'm at 27k so it's about time for that / those filters. Hopefully now it's singular tense tho
Any internal filter older than Job #2 2008 is good for the life of the trans. It never needs to be changed until the trans is rebuilt.
Quote:
What's the difference between the SP and LV fluids?
I dunno. MERCON LV came out after I left Ford. I don't know anything about it other than it was supposed to replace MERCON SP.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode