Trans. Fluid mark - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Trans. Fluid mark

Just had dealer do a trans fluid flush and external filter change on my 03 6.0 and I got home after running for about hour and half and I check fluid level and it was only half way up on the cold mark. So is this the new norm. Or did he not put enough in it? Any info will be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Trans. Fluid mark

And after sitting all night I checked it cold and it's little above full line on dip stick. Any thoughts
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

My thoughts are that there is NOTHING to be learned by checking the fluid cold. The person that put a COLD mark on the dipstick was a dipstick himself.

If it is on the cold mark with the transmission cold all you know is that the level is several quarts low, or maybe right, or maybe even high. It's one of those three.

Warm the trans up by driving at least 10 miles and check it again idling in park.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
My thoughts are that there is NOTHING to be learned by checking the fluid cold. The person that put a COLD mark on the dipstick was a dipstick himself.

old acquaintance of yours?

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

No, I actually don't know who designed it. But I've seen the dipstick. It had to have been designed by a dipstick.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok I checked it after running in for 10 miles and it's still halfway up the cold mark. So should I add some in there
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

It should be in the cross hatched area that says DO NOT ADD. If it is below this, add fluid. Use only MERCON SP or MERCON LV. Anything else is trouble.

Mark

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok got it thanks man.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 AM
'05 Excursion

Seriously considering putting a sight port on the side of my ATF deep sump pan because it usually takes me at least six tries to figure out the level on the stick. Like the ones on AFE differential covers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post

If it is on the cold mark with the transmission cold all you know is that the level is several quarts low, or maybe right, or maybe even high. It's one of those three.

Warm the trans up by driving at least 10 miles and check it again idling in park.
Mark,

Is this true for the E4OD/4R100, too?

Thank you.

Rusty

1997 F250 CC/SB 7.3 PSD 4X4 XLT, 248,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode