zf-6? will it mate to my stock auto transfer case, also rebuild ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

zf-6? will it mate to my stock auto transfer case, also rebuild ?

Alright im lookin at a zf-6 for sale in the classifieds it is said to have a couple sincros going out. what would it take to get the thing completly gone through and bad parts replaced? is it somthin i could do myself for not a lot of money. also will my stock 2001 atoumatic transfercase bolt right up to the 6 speed with out modifing anything? thanks
Jay

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 06:20 PM
PSN Local

Re: zf-6? will it mate to my stock auto transfer case, also rebuild ?

You will need the input shaft for the 6-speed. Other than that, it will bolt up. I have all the stuff to put a 6-spd in one as I just switched to an auto.

David Willingham
Advanced Motorsports Engineering
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

why did you switch out if you dont mind me askin? also was there anything wrong with your 6 speed you just pulled? thanks for the information also.

Jay

Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
PSN Local

My 6-speed was in excellent condition. It has about 190,000 miles on it and hasn't towed much at all. I used to have a job with a 50 mile round trip and I drove my truck all the time. I wanted the truck to be quicker, so I went with an auto. I have all the stuff to do a 6-speed conversion, including the transfer case, I just haven't decided on a price and they don't seem to be selling to good lately.

David Willingham
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:46 PM
PSN Local

Also, I prefer the manual to tow with. We towed 7,000 of scrap aluminum last week and the auto just isn't as good for that. For ease of driving and drag racing, the auto is great. For towing, I wished the 6-speed was back in.

David Willingham
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I hear ya, i dont have much cash myself right now i dont think many people do at this point but, i want the 6 speed for mpg reasons as well as not having to wory about trany fliud overheating or TC going out. and i dont race or anything. I also like the fact that i can pick what gear the trucks in for like mountain driving and the such. But if ya come up with a reasonable figure i might be able to sell my auto or somthin as there is nothin qwrong with mine at all.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybuller View Post
I hear ya, i dont have much cash myself right now i dont think many people do at this point but, i want the 6 speed for mpg reasons as well as not having to wory about trany fliud overheating or TC going out. and i dont race or anything. I also like the fact that i can pick what gear the trucks in for like mountain driving and the such. But if ya come up with a reasonable figure i might be able to sell my auto or somthin as there is nothin qwrong with mine at all.
I would say go spend some time driving a 6 speed truck first, but you'd have to drive one for a few years to fully appreciate just what a pos they really are.

Best of luck. Horrible idea IMO.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks, What is bad about them? is just to much shifting for it? or is it somthin that causes problems? I realize it wont be as fast as an auto but what did you not like about them. the truck i drove that had a 6 speed in it was a big dodge 3500 dually with the cummins i dont know if there is any similarity but i liked the way it drove with it.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:50 AM
PSN Local

IMHO, the zf-6 speed is probably the best light duty manual tranny out there. They don't have too many problems and they are pretty tough. There are some high hp dmaxs with the zf and they seem to be holding up. Plus mines had 50k of 500+hp without any problems.

It shouldn't cost more than $500 to fix the syncros, but I'd leave it to a tranny pro.

The swap may not be worth the trouble or time, and it may be easier to trade trucks.

Mine- 1995 Ford F-350 XLT CC 2wd DRW LB, ZF-6sp, '96 215 hp Cummins, SBDD, #10, SDX 5x14s, HE351cw/S475/1.10 twins, and other good stuff

My Newest-1995 Ford F-350 XLT CC 4x4 SRW LB, 460 gas, auto, Soon to be 12v Cummins, 4r100 and 700hp+

Wife- 2008 Ford F-350 Lariat CC SB 4x4 SRW, 20" factory wheels, navigation, sirius, all stock for now
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybuller View Post
Thanks, What is bad about them? is just to much shifting for it? or is it somthin that causes problems? I realize it wont be as fast as an auto but what did you not like about them. the truck i drove that had a 6 speed in it was a big dodge 3500 dually with the cummins i dont know if there is any similarity but i liked the way it drove with it.
Hopefully the plastic master cylinder, plastic slave cylinder, plastic bushings and plastic retainers will serve you better than they did me for the 5 or 6 years I tried to have a consistent clutch in my truck.

I don't have a problem with the ZF trans. I'm sure you could keep syncros in it just fine if the G'damn pos clutch release mechanism worked even half-assed. Best case scenario the shifts are just labored and you know it's eating on the syncros, worst-case, the damn truck is trying to pull through an intersection while you've got the clutch pedal all the way to the floor...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode