4r100 shifting into overdrive hard!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Exclamation 4r100 shifting into overdrive hard!!!

i have a 2000 psd f-250 that shifts hard into overdrive. only had it for couple days. all other gears shift fine. it feels like it skips a gear and goes into overdrive at 40mph. took it by a tranny shop today.....he test drove it and said it was fine that the torque converter is locking up at the same time its going into overdrive. said it has been rebuilt before judging by the way it drove and shifted. no overdrive light blinking no mil light on. truck has 252,000 miles. so thought all was goood, until i got home, i stopped and then floored it, first to second shifted very very hard. let out of it and stopped again. took off like normal and shifted fine until it shifted into overdrive. it shifted a little hard like it has been doing. but everything was fine with all other gears. tranny doesn't seem to slip at all. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 4r100 shifting into overdrive hard!!!

Hmm.. Sounds like my tranny. I think its just the tc locking up as it shifts into OD. That is what i came to learn with mine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thats what the guy at the tranny shop told me yesterday. he said it was ok. Have you heard this? how much do you know about the tc locking when shifting into od? is it a problem?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Hater Club

If it's been rebuilt, it may have had a shift kit or modded VB installed. Is the truck chipped? Programmer? You'll want to have the trans shop look at the pressures. Did he have a scanner on the truck when it was being driven around?

Porch Monkey. It's cool, I'm taking it back.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

i wish i could answer your questions but i just have no idea, it does not have a programmer and he did not hook up a scanner, he was going to hook up a scanner to it but when he drove it he said there was no need. i would think that after 252,ooo miles it probably has been rebuilt. but who knows. This guy said that the valve body had been modified. how can i find out if it has a chip? thanks for taking the time to try and help me out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM
PSN Local

You have to check the back of the connector on the PCM- located under the dash by the steering wheel.

I can make any trans shuft that way thru programming. My trans has a modded valve body from when I rebuilt it, And stock it is firm. At WOT you fell the shifts in your chest.

1997 F350 7.3L OBS (Old Big and Slow)
3" Downpipe (cat delete 364.5 days a year)
Custom tunes by ME
AFE Intake
Rebuilt Transmission(The works-Tripple disk TQ, All Steel insides)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Sounds like it was a good rebuild, hard shifts are ok with lower hp trucks as it will help the clutches live longer lives.

When you get into high hp the comprimises begin between allowing slippage vs breaking hard parts.

I know what you are talking about with the jolt into OD, this is annoying to say the least it will cause the turbo to surge also. Just keep the OD turned off when you start the truck, then shift into in when you want to.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Smile Re: 4r100 shifting into overdrive hard!!!

ok, great info my friends,makes me feel alot better, took it to another shop they hooked it up to a scanner. came back and said it has a bd prgrammer and a shift kit in it, not to worry that all is good except it needs a service. but other than that all seems good.awesome!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode