Need Help From the Resident Tranny Guru's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Third Member

Question Need Help From the Resident Tranny Guru's

I have a friend with a 97 F-250 4X4 E4OD Powerstroke. The trans. has been acting up and the o/d light starts flashing. When I checked the codes with my MT2500 it had the P1728 code. I talked to one trans. guy on the phone and he told me to replace the mlp sensor (trans range switch) which I did. It worked for awhile but it's acting up again. It has a Ford reman E4OD in it, but it was installed when the previous owner had it and the local stealership said the warranty doesn't transfer. What else should I do? Thanks for any help.

1995 F-350 CC 4X4, Auto, 3.55's, DP, No Kitty, Straight Pipe, Wildman 4 Position Chip, Gutted EBPV, Modded Turbo Pedestal, Autometer A-Pillar gauges, Tymar Open Element Intake, HPX Hose, Shimmed FPR, SP Diesel EBP Dongle, 466 Blue CPS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Need Help From the Resident Tranny Guru's

I can't see any connection between a P1728 and the MLPS, but I think you know that now.

In this vintage E4OD there were problems with the torque converter clutch piston cracking. When it cracks there is pressure lost and the converter clutch can't hold as well. That causes slip, and 50 RPM slip will set a P1728. Once it starts, it's all downhill. The crack tends to grow, leaking more pressure, and the torque converter clutch will glaze from slipping, requiring more pressure to hold, just when it has LESS pressure.

It's also possible, but not very likely, that the torque converter clutch solenoid is stuck, or the valve that this solenoid controls is stuck. I don't think either of these are the problem, but it is possible.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Third Member

So whatever is causing this code is probably an internal problem?
I'm not a tranny guy so he'll have to have someone else do that part.
I can R&R it but as far as messing around inside it I'll leave that for somebody else.

1995 F-350 CC 4X4, Auto, 3.55's, DP, No Kitty, Straight Pipe, Wildman 4 Position Chip, Gutted EBPV, Modded Turbo Pedestal, Autometer A-Pillar gauges, Tymar Open Element Intake, HPX Hose, Shimmed FPR, SP Diesel EBP Dongle, 466 Blue CPS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:22 AM
X Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtndrty View Post
I have a friend with a 97 F-250 4X4 E4OD Powerstroke. The trans. has been acting up and the o/d light starts flashing. When I checked the codes with my MT2500 it had the P1728 code. I talked to one trans. guy on the phone and he told me to replace the mlp sensor (trans range switch) which I did. It worked for awhile but it's acting up again. It has a Ford reman E4OD in it, but it was installed when the previous owner had it and the local stealership said the warranty doesn't transfer. What else should I do? Thanks for any help.
Can you notice any actual slip or just the OD light? A re-man should have a more robust converter piston design in it. If your confident the trannys sound post back.

Contact Racer X USA for Fully Custom built transmissions, Torque Converters & Valve Bodies.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Third Member

I haven't drove the pickup while the light is on but, he says it shifts really hard. The last couple of times it happened when he was pulling a stock trailer. The first time he was trying to pull up on a block of wood from a stop on a two track road.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:11 AM
X Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtndrty View Post
I haven't drove the pickup while the light is on but, he says it shifts really hard. The last couple of times it happened when he was pulling a stock trailer. The first time he was trying to pull up on a block of wood from a stop on a two track road.
The hard shift is from the pcm strategy. It goes into a limp home mode with hard shifts when it detects a fault. I'd read the code(s) again, record, and clear the memory. If it had the same code, I'd check the harness, then I'd pressure test it.

Contact Racer X USA for Fully Custom built transmissions, Torque Converters & Valve Bodies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode