Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

5R110 Transmission

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
#1 ·
I have an 03.5 4X4 6.0L diesel dually with the 5R110 transmission. I have a chance to buy a good used ATS Stage 3- 5R110 transmission with ATS converter out of his 07 Ford F-350 4X4 6.0L single wheel. My local transmission shop says it wont work in my truck cause the planetary gears will give me problems. Ats says it will work they are all the same. Ford says the TCM module is different so therefore it won't work. So now I'm totally confused. Any expert advice would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
So they are saying a 5R won't work in a truck that a 5R came out of? LOL

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
I know alot of people who dont like ATS. I have their 5-star converter, and have never had a problem with it. Its been in the truck for almost 40K miles.
My opinion: IF ATS says it will work fine, which I think it will also, grab it.

#6 ·
There were different gear ratios in the 5R110 over the years. 2003 & 2004 had the same ratios. 2005 had a change, and another change happened in 2008.

The ratio changes were so slight that I'm almost certain there will be no problems. For example first gear changed from 3.09:1 to 3.11:1. That's 2/3 of one percent. The OBDII can't pick up a change that small. The 2007 should have the 3.11 first gear.

#8 ·
So I am having a similar issue. I bought a 2004 5r110w and installed it in my 2005. It goes into drive and reverse in my parking spot but once it shifts too 2nd it drops out of gear and then doesn't have throttle in reverse and wont engage and then once I park it and shut it off it will work the same way again. No tow light flashing but ant ideas?

#9 ·
Even though the light isn't flashing there may be codes. That would be very helpful to find out what's wrong. The cheapest way to do it is with Forscan. You can download the program free from www.forscan.org and get an ODBII adapter on Amazon for about $25.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.