Think my tranny is on its way out. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

Think my tranny is on its way out.

It doesnt want to shift out of first gear. I can let off and then go back in with the pedal (sometimes takes 2 or 3 times) and it will go into second. Once in second, all is well.

No noise, no heat issues, no warning signs. Has shifted fine until now.

This is a factory 96k mile tranny with a Suncoast converter, shift kit, and billet input shaft. Temp have never been over 190. Average temp 165.

Does this sound like a minor part issue, or a toasted transmission?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:50 PM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish
Re: Think my tranny is on its way out.

Hummm, could just be a dirty valve body.... just a WAG... any tranny flushes lately?

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

~

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

Well, a couple months ago I broke the overdrive planetary....so the tranny was out for that. While it was out, a general inspection was done of the clutches etc. as well as the convertor. They did not tear the transmission completely down. I also added a 300M input shaft from John Wood at that time.

New fluids etc at that time, but I dont think he flushed it. (maybe he did?)

|
|

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:01 PM
DILLIGAFF

Yeah I was just taking a guess... when I did my shift kit I noticed a little bit of gray residue in the valve body... my shifting was fine but I thought to myself... what would happen if this crap was gummed up in the orifices.

Now have you tried it with the gear shifter in 1 and then throw it into 2 or D?

14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

~

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfishman17 View Post
Yeah I was just taking a guess... when I did my shift kit I noticed a little bit of gray residue in the valve body... my shifting was fine but I thought to myself... what would happen if this crap was gummed up in the orifices.

Now have you tried it with the gear shifter in 1 and then throw it into 2 or D?
Not yet. Gonna go road test it a lil in a minute.

|
|
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

Ok. Does the same chit shifting manually. Will not go into second unless you let out and feather back in to it.

|
|
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 PM

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

:supergay:

really sucks. Think I might order a extreme rebuild kit and get it done locally if it's toasted. Cant be without the truck for long.

|
|
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:58 PM
DILLIGAFF

all right then... floor it in reverse and then throw that bitch in drive... without letting off the skinny pedal...

14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

~

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSUPERD View Post
:supergay:

really sucks. Think I might order a extreme rebuild kit and get it done locally if it's toasted. Cant be without the truck for long.
Don't order the suncoast kit by itself. Talk to Racer X, the suncoast kit for a 7.3 is missing several things. He can get you the parts to do a good build.

JW can also supply you with parts from what I hear, Racer X has these setup and ready to go though, hit him up.

That's what I'm gonna do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode