Torque converter running low on torque? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish
Torque converter running low on torque?

Well not exactly, well i don't know maybe.... but anyways heres my situation, My truck doesn't like to blow out much black smoke after the turbo spools, even in the 100 program, (but it will smoke a lot with the TC locked, if I lug the engine) I'm thinking my torque converter is not loading the engine enough. I know im getting plenty of fuel and my truck will not set the over boost code until the TC locks up, it has no problem locking up. I just think it is too slushy until it locks up. Mind you my tranny does have 181k on it, and I installed a shift kit around 160k. Fluid is good and pink, temps stay in check, but then again I never sit in traffic for half an hour.

So heres my questing. What is the normal TC rpm difference under hard acceleration, pre lock up? My tuner is telling me it is close to 800-1000 "TC mod actual" until it locks up.

Would replacing the TC at my mileage do any harm to rest of the life of the tranny? (I am on a budjet so a full rebuild is not an option right now.)

Ideally, if it is feasible, (I think I can handle dropping the tranny and swapping the TC myself) I would like to get a good single disc, I know the tranny probably wouldn't live very long behind a triple disc. I have heard you can pick up 6oh TC for around 400 bucks and that they are the perfect match for a mildly powered truck such as mine.

What do ya'll think, I'm open to other ideas provided it is less than 4 digits.

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 01:47 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Re: Torque converter running low on torque?

Yup, I was gonna suggest a 6.0 converter. Call John Wood ( http://jwtt.com/ ), he's a sponsor on here. You can actually use the stouter 6.4 tc in a 6.0, so maybe you can put a 6.4 in there and call it a day.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Above It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfishman17 View Post

I would like to get a good single disc, I know the tranny probably wouldn't live very long behind a triple disc.
I have heard this statement a couple of times lately. Now think about it. When the TC locks up, you are in direct drive from the flywheel. It does not matter whether it is a single, triple or quadruple disk. The disk just locks up the TC. Using more disks allows for more surface area and helps reduce slippage. Before lockup the disks do nothing. What most people don't realize is the stock TC that came with your 4R100 is a triple disk. A poor one, but triple disk none the less.
Now you may have heard that a "high performance" TC can harm a stock transmission and that is true. The theory is that it's torque multiplication is higher than stock and of course the tranny can't handle it. It does that by having a higher stall speed. It slips more and the engine rpm gets higher before it reaches stall.

Quote:
I have heard you can pick up 6oh TC for around 400 bucks and that they are the perfect match for a mildly powered truck such as mine.
The 6.0 (5R110) TC is not a direct swap into the 7.3 (4R100). It requires a spacer for proper fitment. John Wood might be able to help you out with that. Also, it has a higher stall speed than the 4R100 TC.

PM Racer X. He knows a lot more than I.

'01 F250 SC/SB 4X4 Trailer Tug

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 PM
X Racer

That's a good point, about stressing a tranny with miles.

If you think about it, we're stressing the tranny enough with the 7.3's power. Why put more torque and stress on the transmission by multiplying extra torque in the converter when the engine can make enough power and torque to break parts? Not all of the Expensive Billet Converters do that, but they all do add weight as stress.

Use the engines power and Torque band with a good triple disc converter. I would stay with a triple disc but W/0 extra Torque multipication with your mileage. The triple disc you already have only affects lock-up apply feel and holding power.
The 3 fresh discs in a new converter aren't what causes a shorter life in a transmission with mileage. You have a shift kit already. If it's more than a valve body kit that needs to be considered, and matched to a new converter.
-
-

Contact Racer X USA for Fully Custom built transmissions, Torque Converters & Valve Bodies.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish

Yeah its just a simple Bulley Dog shift kit, there no pump mods or anything. So I guess the stock weak torque converter is what has been making the tranny last all this time. Maybe my funds are better appropreiated for a BTS fund then? I think all i can benefit then is with better holding power, its does take a few seconds to lock up if im just cruising at 70, hit the brakes, it un-locks, then floor it is when it takes a few seconds to re lock. Otherwise it locks up just fine on a hard acceration from a dead stop. Thanks for all the input ya'll.

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

~

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
its does take a few seconds to lock up if im just cruising at 70, hit the brakes, it un-locks, then floor it is when it takes a few seconds to re lock. Otherwise it locks up just fine on a hard acceration from a dead stop. Thanks for all the input ya'll.
That's the programming
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 03:52 AM
X Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
That's the programming

You can add up to 9 seconds delay with a solenoid pack mod alone.

Contact Racer X USA for Fully Custom built transmissions, Torque Converters & Valve Bodies.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 AM
utah get me two

6.4 converter behind a 7.3 , yes and it's better than the 6.0 converter.but you halfto change the flexplate too because the 7.3 converter has 6 studs ,and the 6.4 converter has 8 studs.been running mine for about 8 mos now.....look at my sig...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2001 f250 4x4 cc sb 6 in lift...dp 6 pos..
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 04:05 AM
PSN Local

Dave,

You said 'but you halfto change the flexplate'

To what? Where do we get one?

Sounds like a very easy upgrade.

MrBill.

CURRENT VEHICLE:
2008 F350 4X4
107k miles
CrewCab Longbed
Lariat Blue w/gold
Camel leather interior
Sunroof
Supplemental heat

Some mods to come.

TOTAL LOSS 11/11/11
F-250 XLT SuperCab Long Bed, 7.3, 4x4.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill1 View Post
Dave,

You said 'but you halfto change the flexplate'

To what? Where do we get one?

Sounds like a very easy upgrade.

MrBill.

John Wood can get you what you need to install the 6.4 converter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode