4R100 bypass - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

4R100 bypass

I was under my truck and noticed that the cooler bypass tube is gone I think the PO did away with it.
Is it going to raise any concerns come winter. I just want to make sure. I have heard people having problems with them getting plugged and burn up a trans. I dont want that.
Not sure if the fluid bypasses to warm up when cold or if it is only for a plugged cooler?
Thanks
Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:31 PM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish
Re: 4R100 bypass

Unless you see sub zero temps in the winter, I wouldn't worry about it. In my climate there is no real reason for it, I plan to ditch the bypass when its time for a BTS.

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

thanks I wasnt sure and i think ill be ok in SLC utah it only gets to single digits occasionally.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM
you want some of this?

I lost mine after having trouble with two in a row sticking. The original went 160,000 miles. The next two less than 10,000. Now they are installed in someones landfill for good. Since removal , no more problems.

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 10:42 PM
X Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfishman17 View Post
Unless you see sub zero temps in the winter, I wouldn't worry about it. In my climate there is no real reason for it, I plan to ditch the bypass when its time for a BTS.
You may not have an option to ditch it, unless you are removing it after you buy. Ask BTS before you do, just in case. Some see it as a safety net, others see no need.
-
-
-
-

Contact Racer X USA for Fully Custom built transmissions, Torque Converters & Valve Bodies.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 01:11 AM
Jr Diesel Junkie

I talked to Brian(BTS) when I got my trans and he recommended keeping the bypass.

I personally removed mine and have noticed no measurable difference in the amount of time the trans takes to come up to temp.

However I don't know if the earlier SD trucks came with a radiator trans cooler inline with the air/air as mine did. If you don't have a radiator trans cooler I would keep the bypass.

2001 F250 RC SRW 4x4__'05 front end, '06 HD h/l
BTS trans/billet converter, 6.0 trans cooler, Diablosport PP, Adrenaline HPOP, Strictly Diesel fuel system mods/stock bowl, Diesel innovations up pipe, Banks 1.00 Thsg/comp wheel, Banks power elbow, S&B intake, Full 4" exhaust no cat/muffler, 2" lift, 33" Nittos.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Caption This

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SFED444 View Post
If you don't have a radiator trans cooler I would keep the bypass.
Why would you think that? Is it because you have been convinced the cooler in the bottom of the radiator warms the fluid?

SD's got the radiator cooler added in March 2000 IIRC.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Jr Diesel Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
Why would you think that? Is it because you have been convinced the cooler in the bottom of the radiator warms the fluid?
I wouldn't say I was convinced, but there has to be some type of heat transfer one way or another(convection), thats simple physics.

I did do a little research before ditching the bypass. I noticed on my dad's '04 6.0 PSD SD the trans had no bypass. The rear trans line ran to the radiator then to the air cooler and back to the trans. I ran mine the same way and upgraded the lines to braided SS. My belief is if Ford did away with it, it is not necessary.

BTS trans/billet converter, 6.0 trans cooler, Diablosport PP, Adrenaline HPOP, Strictly Diesel fuel system mods/stock bowl, Diesel innovations up pipe, Banks 1.00 Thsg/comp wheel, Banks power elbow, S&B intake, Full 4" exhaust no cat/muffler, 2" lift, 33" Nittos.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
I wouldn't say I was convinced, but there has to be some type of heat transfer one way or another(convection), thats simple physics.
Absolutely there is heat transfer. The heat ALWAYS goes from the trans fluid to the radiator. Always. Without exception. The radiator is NEVER warmer than the trans. I've measured temperatures in the radiator and in the ATF going to and from the radiator. I've run tests as cold as -40 and as hot as 115 ambient temps. The radiator ALWAYS cools the ATF.

Quote:
I did do a little research before ditching the bypass. I noticed on my dad's '04 6.0 PSD SD the trans had no bypass. The rear trans line ran to the radiator then to the air cooler and back to the trans. I ran mine the same way and upgraded the lines to braided SS. My belief is if Ford did away with it, it is not necessary.
You didn't do enough research. Ford did not do away with the bypass, they moved it inside the trans where you can't easily remove it. It is now in the pump body, and it also is a thermostat. It only sends 10% of the normal flow to the coolers until the trans is warmer than 165F.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Jr Diesel Junkie

So do you think removing the bypass will harm my transmission?
Even on cold days I average between 120-135 deg F. I was still below 140 deg with the bypass.

On 90+ deg days, towing 5 tons, my trans temp has never been over 165 deg F since removing the bypass. Before I would venture slightly over 200 deg and that made me uncomfortable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in