TRANS ADVICE Pls! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

TRANS ADVICE Pls!

Due to an unknown history (truck was purchased second hand), I decided to have my trans fluid analyized by the folks at BlackStone Labs. The results are in and my numbers are pretty high in comparison to universal averages. Needless to say, I need to change the fluid.

Being that I don't know much about auto transmissions, I have a few questions:

1) I want to use amsoil ATF...who's using it? Good choice?

2) Can I do this job myself? I know fluid stays in the torque converter and it can't be changed like a manual transmission.

3) Should I run conventional in there first to help flush out crap fluid before putting in the amsoil?

4) While I am doing it, is there anything else worth doing? I have both filters in stock, all I need is fluid. It doesn't over heat.

5) What about additives?

6) What about those fancy machines at trans shops that flush atf out....can I do a comparable quality job myself?

7) Should auto trans fluid be warm (like engine oil) when I am changing it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: TRANS ADVICE Pls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyD View Post
1) I want to use amsoil ATF...who's using it? Good choice?
Not my first choice. I prefer Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Quote:
2) Can I do this job myself? I know fluid stays in the torque converter and it can't be changed like a manual transmission.
Here is how you can change all of the fluid, including what is in the torque converter, assuming you have an E4OD or 4R100. I can't tell what you have from your post. https://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4338

Quote:
3) Should I run conventional in there first to help flush out crap fluid before putting in the amsoil?
That won't gain you anything.

Quote:
4) While I am doing it, is there anything else worth doing? I have both filters in stock, all I need is fluid. It doesn't over heat.
By both filters, you must have a TorqShift. Ignore the procedure above, it won't work with the TorqShift transmission. All you can do at home is change the fluid in the pan.

Quote:
5) What about additives?
Not in my transmission.

Quote:
6) What about those fancy machines at trans shops that flush atf out....can I do a comparable quality job myself?
If you don't have a TorqShift those machines do a great job of changing the fluid. If you do have a TorqShift you MUST use a heated flush machine or it won't change the fluid, though it will look like it's working.

If it isn't a TorqShift the you an do it yourself with the procedure I posted above.

Quote:
7) Should auto trans fluid be warm (like engine oil) when I am changing it?
It helps.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Hey Mark,

Do most tranny shops have this machine or only the Ford dealership? I have a 2005 Ford F350.

Oh and one final thought, what are your thoughts about an external filter kit for this appilcation?

Thank you for answering all of those questions.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Most transmission shops and many Ford dealers do not have this machine.

I don't know anything about an external filter kit.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 PM
PSN Local

It has an external filter, It hangs off the RH Frame rail.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Most transmission shops and many Ford dealers do not have this machine.

I don't know anything about an external filter kit.

Mark, can you tell me what this machine is called so I can ask the dealerships myself?

What would your adivce be if I can't find a shop with the proper flushing machine?

Thanks again!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHPowerstroke7.3 View Post
It has an external filter, It hangs off the RH Frame rail.
Is this filter compatible with the one found in the 6.0 Torqshift tran or just the4r100?

thanks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Mark, can you tell me what this machine is called so I can ask the dealerships myself?
It is called a heated flush machine.

Quote:
What would your adivce be if I can't find a shop with the proper flushing machine?
All you can do then is drain the pan, Do it again in 10,000 miles, and maybe one more 10,000 mile interval.

Mark

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Is this filter compatible with the one found in the 6.0 Torqshift tran or just the4r100?

thanks
Your truck is an 2005 correct? If it is a 6.0 Diesel it will have the external filter located on the RH frame rail hanging down between the fan shroud and the engine. Can't recall if the gassers had them or not. Even if your truck is a gasser, all 2005's had the Torqshift. No 4r100's had external filter unless it was the inline filter that was added it (usually after a repair for failure) but Ford no longer recommends installing these. This is probably because no one ever changed them at the proper interval.

If you're truck is not equipped with this filter, you could probably add it but I doubt it would be worth it. They do filter very well, but If you change the in pan filter when required you won't have any problems.

If you want to use AMSOIL ATF, make sure you get the ATF LV which is compatable with Mercon Sp, which was superceded by Mercon LV. We have a customer with a F550 that runs it in his, Hasn't had any issues yet. Its a Dump box and he's an arborist so its usually driving around heavy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Your truck is an 2005 correct? If it is a 6.0 Diesel it will have the external filter located on the RH frame rail hanging down between the fan shroud and the engine. Can't recall if the gassers had them or not.
Yes, the gassers have the same filter.

Quote:
If you're truck is not equipped with this filter, you could probably add it but I doubt it would be worth it. They do filter very well, but If you change the in pan filter when required you won't have any problems.
What is the required change interval for the internal filter? Do you know? I'll help you. It is required to be changed only when the transmission is rebuilt. It is a coarse filter. The external filter is a very fine filter and that one has a change interval, I believe it is 30,000 miles.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode