Due to an unknown history (truck was purchased second hand), I decided to have my trans fluid analyized by the folks at BlackStone Labs. The results are in and my numbers are pretty high in comparison to universal averages. Needless to say, I need to change the fluid.
Being that I don't know much about auto transmissions, I have a few questions:
1) I want to use amsoil ATF
...who's using it? Good choice?
2) Can I do this job myself? I know fluid stays in the torque converter and it can't be changed like a manual transmission.
3) Should I run conventional in there first to help flush out crap fluid before putting in the amsoil?
4) While I am doing it, is there anything else worth doing? I have both filters in stock, all I need is fluid. It doesn't over heat.
5) What about additives?
6) What about those fancy machines at trans shops that flush atf
out....can I do a comparable quality job myself?
7) Should auto trans fluid be warm (like engine oil) when I am changing it?