E4OD Shift Troubles - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Bowe

E4OD Shift Troubles

hey guys, I'm looking for some help on identifying the cause of my tranny troubles in my 95 f350. Most of the time it works fine.... but intermittently it will begin holding first and second gear up into the 26-2800 rpm range, then pause and bang into 3rd shaking the whole truck. Once in 3rd gear it will not hold and immediately try for over drive. It also likes to, on occasion, not start out using first or second, but start in 3rd and drop to overdrive which causes it to bog down seriously. Whenever it acts up the overdrive light flashes. These problems come and go randomly. I tried looking for a trigger in vehicle speed or rpm or outside temperature, or even humidity, but no trends. I replaced the vehicle speed sensor, cleaned the rear diff and put in new gear oil, as well as a new tranny filter and fluid, but no luck. Whats going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:14 AM

Re: E4OD Shift Troubles

I would check and make sure electrical connections are clean.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I would get the codes read so that you know what to fix instead of blindly trying to fix things.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Bowe

The problem is the od light only flashes while malfunctioning and i do not have a code reader. If i plug in a reader when od light isnt flashing will it still pick up the problem?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM

I am almost certain a code would have been trown and stored. Take it by an Advance Auto or the like and they will read it for free.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

When the OD light flashes a code is stored in the computer's memory. It will stay in memory for about a month after the last time the light flashed.

Auto parts stores do not have the right tools to read Ford transmission codes. You need someone with a better scan tool, like a good independent shop or even a Ford dealer.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 AM
PSN Local

hey bowe i have literally the exact same crap goin on with my tranny currently, along with my speedometor bouncing all over the place and my ABS light came on...
mind me asking what u found out and how u fixed it?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 AM
PSN Newb

my rig had trouble that sounded very similar with the e40. i was told my shift sylinoid was taking a ####. had codes read by an advanced code reader and it said my TC was takin a ####. but it was a brand new triple disc billet. like litteraly 2 weeks old when the OD light started flashing, somone told me to drop the pan and change the shift syliniod. but i was to late she blew. i said screw it and did the smartest thing ive ever done in my life. i swapped the e40d out for a zf5. you will not regret lol (unless u buy a junk tranny) lol whoops
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 01:16 PM
PSN Local

Yeah iv been wondering if just doin a swap will be much easier and less complicating anyway!! Only thing that get me is my E40D was rebuilt like 40k ago!! I really hope it's not already falling apart
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 02:04 PM
PSN Newb

haha my e40 was rebuilt a month before it blew with the best internalls and TC money could by. i really went into the hole to keep it an automatic. but in the long run im super happy with the 5 speed. so much fun to drive and i feel like it could pull a friggin mountain without worrying about my tranny lol and the swap is super easy as long as u got all the parts to do it. buyin a wrecked donor truck is the easiest way in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode