blinking overdrive light and 1728 code - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

blinking overdrive light and 1728 code

so my 97 E350 7.3psd 4x4 van has had the blinkin OD light go off for me and then hard shifting (until i restarted). i took it to a buddy who happens to run a shop (and does trannies) which is where i scanned it for the 1728 code. they hooked it up to the diagnostic equipment and drove it alot, stating it drove nice and all perimeters seemed normal (vehicle speed included) with the exception of the computer was never commanding the torque convertor to lock up.

but they never got it to throw a code again and recommended i just drive it, 27 miles later i got a flashing OD light again. they are kind of stumped and think i have 2 things going on, a computer problem not asking for lock up, and something within the tranny maybe, but hate to just throw $ at unknowns

thoughts? its the stock tranny (e40d right?) with a transfer case adapted from a 06 f250. auto trannies are not my area of expertise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: blinking overdrive light and 1728 code

Yes, it's an E4OD. I doubt that it is a computer problem. It is rare for them to fail, but it is also possible.

They need to use the scanner to look at all the inputs. Vehicle speed, brake light switch, engine speed, and several others.

One quick thing to check is the brake lights. Do all of them work, including the third brake light on top of the cab? If any of them don't work the converter won't lock.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks for the reply, i do know they used there scanner to read all such things and did mention to me the brake light switch was working, VSS was giving accurate enough reading to the speedo, manifold pressure etc etc.

as for whether or not all my brake lights are working, i will check, thats a weird one, and have heard the same for dome light and fuse (which i did check)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

so i just checked my brake lights, yeah, my center/third light is not working, i will fix that tomorrow.

so, would something as weird as a burnt out brake light be throwing the 1728 code, or will it just keep the computer from commanding lockup and i still have another problem throwing the "1728 trans slip error"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Let's fix one problem at a time and see what happens. These things can be all interrelated.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

got the lights swapped out on the 3rd brake light and went for a drive, about 20 miles in the OD light started to blink again. the code reader gave me the same code (1728) but does not allow me to clear the code (NAPA reader give me an error) but i wouldnt think a code stored in memory would be giving me trouble, but i will go clear it tomorrow with my buddies real reader

so, what should i look for next
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Does the torque converter lock?

Mark

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

it feels just fine, so i will have to hook it up to my buddies scanner to verify for sure. it felt fine before as well, but there scanner saw it was never commanding lockup
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

cleared the codes this AM and light strated blinking again. I do not have access to a scanner right now to see if lock up is being commanded or any of that good stuff, but van seems to drive fine by the seat of my pants reading.

what to try next? and could this be caused by a bad tank of gas? ironically started having problems right after a fillup so worth wondering about.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The next step is to read the codes and look at live data to see what the PCM is seeing from the sensors and what it is telling the transmission to do.

Anything else is a waste of time.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode