Used tranny install and no park or reverse? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Old Yeller, REBORN

Used tranny install and no park or reverse?

I just installed a used tranny til' I can get a BTS. Not sure of its condition but guy said block was toast so tranny should be fine. Its from an 01'

Put my ARI TC in it and John Woods VB before install.

Started it up and warmed it up, topped off fluid and it won't engage into reverse. Seems to have drive but I didn't go out of the driveway. When I try to put it back in park, its like its in neutral. I adjusted the shift cable with no results. From Park to drive, there is a clunk as well.

Anything I missed or is this tranny toast also?

REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in gallery- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, JW VB in 2nd stock tranny, Walbro 392, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straight piped and guages, 6637, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Old Yeller, REBORN

Re: Used tranny install and no park or reverse?

More thinking. My tranny was slipping really bad and there was a ton of metal in the pan on the magnet so maybe I shouldn't have installed my TC or VB. I did flush the cooler real well also.

Maybe my VB or TC were contaminated because sometimes my tranny would not go into reverse either.

REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in gallery- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, JW VB in 2nd stock tranny, Walbro 392, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straight piped and guages, 6637, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Old Yeller, REBORN

OK, swapped out the valve bodies today and went back to the stocker from the used trans.

Fired it back up and put it in drive first and it worked, just moved forward in the driveway. Put it in reverse and nothing. Sounds like it is grinding a bit and wanting to go into gear. Then back to drive and noting but some grinding. Also, I have no Park. You can move it all you want in park on the driveway.

I was reading a bit and my new filter is a bit loose so could it not be getting enough fluid to shift into gear. I have read about reverse needing more fluid than drive.

Except for possibly the filter being the culprit, I may have contaminated somethig with my valve body and torqu converter I guess.

Anybody have ideas?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Old Yeller, REBORN

ALL ANYBODY WOULD HAVE HAD TO SAY IS----------

-

-

-

-

-

-

"TRANSFER CASE"-

Sorry nobody wins the prize. I am very glad I figured it out though.

The connecting rod from the tranny to the tran case has a 360* connector at the t-case. Don't install it with the rod down, the rod needs to be installed up or you will not have engagement in 2 wheel drive.

, Wow, I am thrilled but feel a bit stupid. In 4-wheel drive, the front wheels would not turn but the rears would with the truck jacked up and as I moved the 4wheel shifter, it didn't feel like it was going into 2 Hi. After reversing the connection underneath, it felt a lot better and I am running down the road with a "better than mine" transmission. Thanks Barrakudaman for the tranny.

The grinding was in the transfercase so I am glad I never left the driveway or tried to rev it up and slam it into gear. It engaged in drive a couple times but with the arm in the wrong direction, it would not stay there.

Time to celebrate

Hope you day went as good as mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode