the great trans pan debate - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
COMPUTER BLUE

Question the great trans pan debate

Im thinking of getting another trans pan (new) because of all the taking mine on and off its starting to leak from re torquing the bolts etc and it being 12 years old too. I've seen the mag hy tech and also there was another with cooling fins in the middle (can't remember name) I know fluid capacity is higher but is there a real advantage to them or would another stocker be fine.

Which is the best pan and why?

Btw we have already beat the pan flat on the bolt holes where it had been over torqued already previously

lots of 6.4's and a few 6.0's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Fixing Broken Stuff

Re: the great trans pan debate

The extra fluid that it will hold isn't really going to help it run cooler. Myself I'd invest the cash in a better transmission cooler and a pan with a drain plug.

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:48 PM
PSN Local

If you upgrade to the pan from a 08' you can then use an 08' filter which is supposed to filter much better.

1994 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon LT1
1995 Ford F150 Flare Side 4x4
2008 Honda CR-V

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
COMPUTER BLUE

My temps are fine I already have a 6.0 cooler. The pan is just worn out. That's why im looking for another. And my pan already has a drain plug.

lots of 6.4's and a few 6.0's

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

In my opinion the only thing one of those fancy pans does better than a stock pan is make the underside of the truck look nicer.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Fixing Broken Stuff

I'd replace it with a stock one that has a drain plug.

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 AM
PSN LIL KID

"If you upgrade to the pan from a 08' you can then use an 08' filter which is supposed to filter much better." Is this a fact? If this is true, its a good option.

I have a mag tech pan, I have it for the reasons you are looking to replace the stock 1. It has no effect on cooling, it was alotta $ and holds alot more fluid so fluid changes are more $.

It has it's own o-ring gasket. no more messing with gaskets. It will be the last pan you buy for that truck it is heavy duty (it will not deform if dropped or taken on and off several times). It has a threaded port if you wanna put a temp sensor in the pan, You can see the pan on my truck so it looks nice there.

2002 CCLB F250 7.3 w/PMR's, Auto-meter gauges, TS 6 pos chip, 4" exhaust turbo back, 8" lift, 37" Toyos on 20" Mazzi hulks, 6.0 trans cooler, Mag Tech Trans pan, Rebuilt trans, new converter, 4.56 gears.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM
PSN Local

Wink Re: the great trans pan debate

If you're talking about an E4OD / 4R100,.....Do yourself a favor and get one of three pans,...... and nothing else,......SERIOUSLY.

Moroso - part # 42050
MAC - part # 20590
B&M - part # 40295

IMO,....the Moroso is the nicer of the three, considering it's made from what appears to be 6061 or 7075 aluminum stock that's tig welded to spec w/ a one-piece billet rail. BUT,....it a little more expensive of the three. It usually runs $185-$190 from Summit, Jegs or etc,....

The MAC / B&M (basicly the same pan) are made from cast aluminum. The MAC sells for $125-$130 directly from the Mfg.,....or can be found on Ebay from time to time.

The B&M sells for $175-$180 from the same as the Moroso (Summit, Jegs or etc...)

I found a seller on Ebay that had a couple of the MAC pans for sale. I made him an offer for both of them and snatched them up for $100 ea (shipped)

All of these pans have a couple of key features. One is that they have drain plugs, which makes servicing the transmission a lot nicer. BUT,....The main positive is the fact that they all three have a completely flat bottom, which makes removal & installation SO MUCH easier. Much better than those stupid, deformed looking 4x4 pans that Ford put on some models. If you've ever removed a transmission with one of those in place, you'll know what I'm talking about.

There's some other aluminum pans on the market, like Hughes, Trick-Flow and PATC that are reasonably priced, but they all have that weird shape, similar to the Ford 4x4 pans.

NOW,......there's other nice aluminum pans on the market like Mag-Tech, TCI, BD Performance and a few others, that boast 5-8 quarts over stock, but that's completely unnecessary. Not to mention, their prices are outrageous as they range anywhere from $350-$400 (for a ficken PAN)

The three pans I listed have 2.5 - 3 quarts over the stock 4x4 pan. This is plenty. Save your money wasted on the high price ones and put that in a good tranny cooler.

I also can't recommend the stamped steel one from Derale. I've personally had one and it was a complete P.O.S. Leaked like crazy and just poor construction in general.

I've been dealing with E4OD's & 4R100's for close to 15 years,.......so you can take it for what it's worth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode