05 6.0 Trans Issue? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

05 6.0 Trans Issue?

Alight, here goes.

First off just to be straight I know nothing about transmissions. I'm not sure what transmission I have other then its a torque shift, after reading some thread I'm assuming it's a 5R110 maybe. But anyways I am having some issues and need some advise on a direction to take.

While driving the truck will randomly down shift (when it does this it slams hard into gear), rev past the normal shift point or when I stop at a red light it will not down shift and I'll start in a higher gear until I give it enough gas to get it to down shift. All of these issues are occuring under normal driving. I only drive about 7 miles to work a day and the tranny temp was 135* on the way home today. I do have a bullydog and do not see any codes. There is also a shutter when going into reverse, which I have read on here to be normal but it has gotten much worse in the last couple months.

I'm thinking I have about 30k on the last fluid flush and filter change, it was perfomed by one of those quick lube places so I really have know idea if it was done right or not. Truck has a total of 103k miles on it.

The only other then I can say is I do some towing once in awhile very rarley over 10k but I do have 37" tires. Oh and fluid levels are ok.

Any help input or solutions would be appreciated.

05' Harley F-250
8" Fabtech lift, Fabtech Traction Bars, 20" KMC with SS M16's, AirRaid, Bully Dog PMT, 4" Silverline Turbo Back Dual 5" Tips, ARP's, Black Onyx Head Gaskets, Sinister EGR Delete, Sinister Coolant Filter and Bunch of other stuff... none of which is go fast parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Re: 05 6.0 Trans Issue?

yes a 5R110

very sensitive to the proper fluid being used Mercon SP or the New LV

this trans uses electronic solenoids to shift and they don't tolerate much in the way of fluid issues

the good News is one of the Original Engineers is a member here so Lets See what Mark thinks

you may also want to check for trans specific codes that may be stored

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Just to add a little humor, I did go to the dealer and find out about a trans flush and filter change. The service manager advised me that "that wouldn't be a good idea it will only speed up the faliure time" then when I asked if it was a heated flush they told me that "I have never heard of that and is not needed, just drain, change filters and refill". I didn't get the warm and fuzzy about going back there for work. And yes they did see my truck and know that it was a diesel.

05' Harley F-250
8" Fabtech lift, Fabtech Traction Bars, 20" KMC with SS M16's, AirRaid, Bully Dog PMT, 4" Silverline Turbo Back Dual 5" Tips, ARP's, Black Onyx Head Gaskets, Sinister EGR Delete, Sinister Coolant Filter and Bunch of other stuff... none of which is go fast parts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I'm not sure if the bullydog see's trans codes and if not where I need to go or what I need to have to see trans specific codes.

05' Harley F-250

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

And to muddy up the water a little more I just got called back into work and the truck reved past the shift point 3 times in a row slamming real hard everytime then the tow/haul light came on and flashed until I cycled power on the truck. Still no codes on the bullydog.

05' Harley F-250

Last edited by jratoms; 05-26-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added text
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

3rd to 5th seems to be the biggest issue right now.

05' Harley F-250

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jratoms View Post
I'm thinking I have about 30k on the last fluid flush and filter change, it was perfomed by one of those quick lube places so I really have know idea if it was done right or not.
This is how the stories get started about having a flush then transmission problems. Most likely this flush DID cause your problems.

Unless you specifically told them what fluid to use, they used some generic fluid. That will kill your solenoids. Your symptoms indicate that you have more than one stuck solenoids.

Quote:
And to muddy up the water a little more I just got called back into work and the truck reved past the shift point 3 times in a row slamming real hard everytime then the tow/haul light came on and flashed until I cycled power on the truck. Still no codes on the bullydog.
Then the bullydog can't read transmission codes. When the tow/haul light flashes at least one code was stored.

Quote:
3rd to 5th seems to be the biggest issue right now.
Those are the hardest shifts to make, so when the solenoids go bad they are the first shifts that show problems.

I think you're going to need to flush with a hot flush machine, and change ALL the solenoids. I hope you have a healthy bank account.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
This is how the stories get started about having a flush then transmission problems. Most likely this flush DID cause your problems.

Unless you specifically told them what fluid to use, they used some generic fluid. That will kill your solenoids. Your symptoms indicate that you have more than one stuck solenoids.

Then the bullydog can't read transmission codes. When the tow/haul light flashes at least one code was stored.

Those are the hardest shifts to make, so when the solenoids go bad they are the first shifts that show problems.

I think you're going to need to flush with a hot flush machine, and change ALL the solenoids. I hope you have a healthy bank account.
Well belive it or not this is the best news I've had today, thanks for the reply. Anybody know any tranny shops in middle GA? Would it be a better idea to just replace the whole tranny? What trannys should I look at and what are the costs?

05' Harley F-250

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Administrator

those trannys are big $ like 3-4k

you may need to just do what Mark suggested and the solenoids are DIY serviceable

but finding a shop to do a proper heated flush may be a problem

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Alright again excuse my ignorance, could somebody tell me the solenoids I would need? I'll look the prices up from there. Yeah I have a feeling the shop will be the hard part considering the ford dealer gave me the deer in the headlight look when I asked them. I have a couple other dealers in the area I'll call maybe something in Atlanta.

05' Harley F-250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode